Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what to use for micro switch (relay, transistor, optocoupler)

Status
Not open for further replies.

knu

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey,
Im absolutely new to eda, i want to design a very compact battery powered esp32 based pcb, one function of it is to power a micro water pump.
The Pump uses 5V with 160mA, I need the ability to (just) switch it on and off using the esp32.
To my knowledge the options are transistors, optocouplers and relays. I have not found a relay small enough to fit my likings, while using transistors and optocouplers in parts seems overkill (but also not unusual for what i have seen). I would really be thankful for some tips and maybe even suggestions about specific models.

Hi,

I personally ´d use a digital transistor if I want it small. (SOT-23 3 pin)
Or a low side power switch if I want reliable operation.

also possible: N-Ch MOSFET logic level, NPN with base resistor. Use some protection diode at the motor.

There are many other ways.

Klaus

Logic-level low side NMOSFET would be fine if your board has 5V output swing. At lower supplies a cheap MOSFET driver w/ "TTL compatible" inputs could work down to maybe 1.8V in (2.5V slam dunk) with 5V supply and skip the FET, as output strength is >1A and the output "catch diodes" may help prevent flyback damage. People used to use bare UC3825 PWM outputs for low power DC-DC as those were good for about 800mA pk.

But it's hard to beat a NPN and a base limiting resistor, for robust and low min working voltage and simplicity.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back