Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rectifier efficiency reduce after I include matching network

abx

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!

I just learned about designing rectifier. I simulate the rectifier without input matching impedance and I got 38% of efficiency but whenever I put the matching network the efficiency reduced to 27%. S11 shows better result with the matching network. Does anyone know what is going on?

How did you design this matching circuit ? I mean, what impedance you have referred for rectifier diode ??
Is this impedance small signal impedance or dynamic large signal impedance ??

How did you design this matching circuit ? I mean, what impedance you have referred for rectifier diode ??
Is this impedance small signal impedance or dynamic large signal impedance ??
I referred to impedance from hbsp simulation for the impedance matching. I believe that’s the right impedance for the matching, isn’t it?

I referred to impedance from hbsp simulation for the impedance matching. I believe that’s the right impedance for the matching, isn’t it?
If you defined the source well, it should be OK. This kind of impedance has to be identified with large signals, not small signals.
If you did that, no problem.
Check this impedance with HB using with Current Meter. Simply divide Voltage over Current (both are complex quantities) to verify the result.

Hi!

I just learned about designing rectifier. I simulate the rectifier without input matching impedance and I got 38% of efficiency but whenever I put the matching network the efficiency reduced to 27%. S11 shows better result with the matching network. Does anyone know what is going on?
I wonder if you considered that a rectifier impedance is time variant because it is nonlinear.
This is a conflict with the ideology of matching impedance with a linear invariant matching impedance.

How do you think it is possible to make a rectifier >99% efficient? ( by choosing a voltage Vp=> 99*Vf)

Yes, I include loss for my matching network
Then this might be your problem, and the loss in these components is larger than the mismatch loss without any matching network.

You can test that by a simulation with ideal, lossless LC in your matching network.

show your work
--- Updated ---

Then this might be your problem, and the loss in these components is larger than the mismatch loss without any matching network.

You can test that by a simulation with ideal, lossless LC in your matching network.
What is the matched impedance for a diode?

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back