Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microstrip impedance matching

goatmxj666

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I made RF power amplifier as IC including matching networks (input, output).

1710139449038.png

Now, I have to make PCB board for testing.

I wondering how do I design microstip line for my chip.

Should the microstrip line match between source 50 ohm and chip's input impedance?

The output matching network is already matched with 50 ohm.
If so, could I just design the microstrip line to be short and thick without matching the output impedance of the chip to 50 ohm?

Solution
To be precise, the input side LCs (L1-C1 and L2-C2) are not impedance matched, but matched to the resonant frequency only.
I interpret this statement as meaning the input reactance at a particular frequency is zero, but the resistance is not 50 ohms, but - for example - 10 ohms.

In this case, yes -- you can use a quarter-wave transformer, e.g., a microstrip with impedance of 35 ohms -- to match the input impedance (at a particular frequency).
Thank you so much for your reply.

To be precise, the input side LCs (L1-C1 and L2-C2) are not impedance matched, but matched to the resonant frequency only.

Is the matching between the source's 50 ohms and the PA's input impedance done with a microstrip line?

Or should I draw a microstrip line, which has 50 ohm impedance?

1710248213168.png

I interpret this statement as meaning the input reactance at a particular frequency is zero, but the resistance is not 50 ohms, but - for example - 10 ohms.

In this case, yes -- you can use a quarter-wave transformer, e.g., a microstrip with impedance of 35 ohms -- to match the input impedance (at a particular frequency).

Solution

I admire your knowledge. Thank you sooo much.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back