Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opamp based Inverting attenuation circuit and output equation

Status
Not open for further replies.

skraj123

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Am seriously looking on a schematic with output equation for my work.An inverting attenuation circuit with output equation is required. I have find inverting attenuation circuit from TI's SLOA058 document but i am not understand it fig.5 shows the image of schematic. Hope positive results. Its important for me.
I designed TI's SLOA058 inverting attenuation circuit for my requirement vout/vin = 0.100. but my simulation and bread board test not positive.
help me in this.

HI, thanks for your reply but am looking on solution for a complex circuit . Here added image of that schematic please let me the output equation will be ??? inverting attenuator.JPG

The circuit can be analyzed bases on the "virtual short" concept. Determine the current through RinB assuming a short across the OP inputs.

Dear FvM,
Hope you could seen the image of the circuit, I tried to analyse as you said "Virtual Short". Please explain in detail and give me output equation alone.
I try to solve based on your ideas and verify with your output equation.

Thanks in Advance

The circuit is more complicated than needed. If you set RinB = zero ohms (short circuit), then analysis is easy:
Input impedance = RinA
Gain = -Rf / RinA

If the opamp is unity gain stable then you don't need R3 either, just leave it open circuit.

hi godfreyl ,
Am try to produce gain from 0.01 to 50, so that am asking all this. Hopefully expecting reply.

Am try to produce gain from 0.01 to 50,
Do you mean the gain must be adjustable e.g. with a potentiometer from 0.01 to 50? That's a very wide range for a single control, so it would be difficult to set accurately.

Gain is fixed at any one value. AM not looking variable gain. being Attenuator i said from 0.01, but my requirement is exactly 0.01 . so i want choose values for resistor.
thanks

Gain is fixed...
requirement is exactly 0.01 . so i want choose values for resistor
OK. As I said in post 6: Gain = -Rf / RinA. So if you want gain = 0.01 then Rf = 0.01 * RinA.

e.g. You can use RinA = 220K, Rf = 2.2K and leave out the other two resistors as mentioned previously.

Similarly, if you want gain = 50 then Rf = 50 * RinA, so you could use RinA = 2K, Rf = 100K

Last edited:

Let's start from the pi-network on the input with R3 going to GND (vcc/2 is used because op-amp is supplied from Vcc to GND). By using Thevenin we have:

Voc=R3/(Ra+Rb)*Vi
Rth=Rb+Ra*R3/(Ra+R3)

so all the pi-network can be replaced by a voltage generator Voc followed by a series resistor Rth. The circuit is now a simple inverting-amplifier, thus

Vo=-Rf/Rth*Voc

replacing with complete expression for Voc and Rth we will have:

Vo=-RF*(Ra+R3)/[Rb*(Ra+R3)+Ra*R3] * R3/(Ra+R3) *Vi ==> Vo/Vi=-Rf*R3/[Ra*Rb+(Ra+Rb)*R3]

Since Ra=Rb (let's call this Rs):

Vo/Vi=-Rf*R3/(Rs²+2*R3*Rs) the article says that Rf=2*Rs (have a look at the number written on the components) then:

Vo/Vi=-2*R3/(Rs+2*R3)

normalizing to Rs=1:

Vo/Vi=-2*R3/(1+2*R3)

from this we can now extract R3 normalized (of couse we need tha absolute value of the gain, so the sign "-" have to be eliminated):

(Vo/Vi)+2*R3*(Vo/Vi)=2*R3

from which:

R3=(Vo/Vi)/{2*[1-(Vo/Vi)]}

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.