Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] How to Prevent Leakage Led Lighting Between ULN2803 and 24V?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsua

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have a circuit shown below:

166-uln.jpg

When the ULN2803 doesnt pull down to GND, because of the voltage difference between 24V and ULN output pin, the led lights a little. It seems like it is on. What can I do by only changing the components?
Note: The 24V supply also powers the ULN2803.

Thanks.

If pin "1C" is the input/output, and it is active high, why not try a low value resistor to ground on the line where it connects to the pin - about 1k or so, so the 2803 knows when to be off. Or would a higher value resistor on the LED help? I'm guessing the first option.

Reactions: apsua

apsua

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The ULN2803 doesn't have a power pin - it's a transistor array.

The design isn't good, it looks like you are relying on R3 to protect the 74HC166 from damage. However, the problem is almost certainly a combination of leakage into the ULN2803 and through the static protection diodes at the HC166 input pin. The simplest fix to try is replacing R3 with a silicon diode (1N4148 for example), cathode toward the LED and adding a pull-up resistor (~10K) from U1 pin 2 to U1's supply pin. It will ensure U1.2 is at the correct logic high voltage when the LED is off and still pull low when the ULN output goes low.

Brian.

apsua

Hi,

Connect a 47k resistor in parallel to the LED.

Klaus

apsua

Hello,
Thanks for your help. I have solved the problem by connecting the supply of the led to +5V and changing the resistor to 470R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back