Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to deal with the PCB design with large scale RF IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

torbai

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
As we all know, Agilent ADS is quite suitable to design PCB layout of a LNA, or a PA, or something else. Here comes my question:
While designing with a large scale RF IC,for example,MAX2828,an IEEE802.11 transceiver, is it still appropriate to design the layout via ADS?
If this can be done, how?
Using a general PCB design tool, such as Altium Designer, might be an another way. But I can't make any guarantee to the RF performance of the one designed by Altium Designer. Can the Altium Designer get this work done?

ADS is not proper tool for PCB designing.Altium is a real PCB design tool but ADS can be used to simulate your PCB design to verify that the PCB is appropriate or not for your application.
In order to do that, you should transfer your PCB onto ADS by using Gerber format, do your Momentum simulation and then attach your active devices in a schematic view to simulate them together.
But ASSPs don't have models,equivalent circuits etc. that's why you must try your app. circuit on your PCB which has been designed by using PCB design expriences.
So shortly, "try and see"..

Hello BigBoss, thank you for your reply.
It is amazing that Gerber files can be used as intermedium between ADS and Altium. The only thing that I had known about gerber was that it is a format to do the fabrications.
I am sad that ADS is not a proper tool. I am really fond of this software.
Are the engineers who design wireless devices really using Altium or equivalent tools to do the layout?

Hello BigBoss, thank you for your reply.
It is amazing that Gerber files can be used as intermedium between ADS and Altium. The only thing that I had known about gerber was that it is a format to do the fabrications.
I am sad that ADS is not a proper tool. I am really fond of this software.
Are the engineers who design wireless devices really using Altium or equivalent tools to do the layout?
Yes and no..
Yes, if your circuit has IC's,working at relatively low RF frequencies,Transmission Lines and PCB patterns have second order priorities etc.
No, if your circuit consists of Precise Microwave Lumped Elements,Transmission Lines,working at Microwave Frequncies,Precise en accurate,
For RF circuits, Altium is a good choice as well as Cadence,Mentor ..
For real precise Microwave,mm-Wave circuits, Autocad and Autocad based PCB design programs are much beter such as https://www.cad-design.com/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back