Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help please whit WinPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljcox

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I followed the instructs given by Wolfgang Buescher & added the PIC16F1708 to WinPIC. When I programmed a 1708, WinPIC stated that the programming had failed. The message said "0x008005 read 0x002005 wanted 0x003FFF". But the HEX code was green rather than red, so I tested the PIC & it worked except that RB5 (defined as an input) did not work. So I re-opened WinPIC & looked at the Config memory tab (see the first attachment). It indicates that location 0x8005 is 0x3FFF. So why did the message claim it read 0x2005? I then opened devices.ini (see second attachment) but could not find anything regarding 0x8005. Wolfgang's instruction did not mention this issue as far as I could determine. I bought a PICKit3 some years ago but it eventually failed & destroyed a 12F675. So I bought another PK3 & it worked for while, but when I recently attempted to programme a 16F1708, it destroyed the PIC. So I don't wish to buy any more PK3. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Attachments

• Config memory.png
    Config memory.png
    26 KB · Views: 102
  • devices_ini.png
    devices_ini.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 100

Hi,

Is it a problem of PicKit ... or some other problem?

I think about ESD.
Is your workplace ESD protected? Do you store and handle the ICs properly.
What about the electrical equippment? PC, power supplies, soldering tool....?

Klaus

Hi,

Is it a problem of PicKit ... or some other problem?

I think about ESD.
Is your workplace ESD protected? Do you store and handle the ICs properly.
What about the electrical equippment? PC, power supplies, soldering tool....?

Klaus
Thanks for the reply.
However, I don't think it due to ESD. I'm always very careful to avoid ESD issues. My programmer/tester has a ZIF socket. Before I insert a PIC, I hold the PIC in one hand with all of the pins touching my skin & then touch the gnd line on the Programmer/Tester while I Insert the PIC into the ZIF. Thus the PIC should be at the same potential as the Programmer/Tester. As soon as I've programmed a PIC, I switch the Programmer/Tester to the Test mode & then test it. Thus there is no handling at that point.
Besides, I've never had a problem when programming PICs with the Programmer/Tester that I use with the WinPIC programmer software. I have programmed many PICs this way. I don't solder PICs onto the PCB. I solder a socket onto the PCB & then insert the PIC using the method described above. I also have a wrist strap that I use when soldering ESD sensitive devices such as MOS FETS, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.