Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GaN Amplifier Microstrip Impedance Matching and Smith Chart Analysis Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nealkendrick

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For this question, please reference the datasheet for the Nitronex NPTB00025. Freq of interest is 3 GHz.

**broken link removed**

On page 4 of the datasheet, Nitronex provides the geometries of the microstrip impedance mathing network. Using AWR's txline program, I calculated that the 265 mil x 441 mil trace is 18.2 ohms with an electrical length of 71 degrees. The impedance that should be presented to the output is 7.4 - j5.8 (see page 2 of datasheet).

This does not appear to be a quarter-wave transformer, being that the electrical length is not 90 degrees -- 600 mil would be about 90 degrees. And my understanding is that you need to get to the real axis on the Smith chart before implementing a QWT anyway.

So what is the effect of this 265x441 mil trace on the Smith Chart? Note that there is a similar trace implemented on the input side of the GaN amp.

For this question, please reference the datasheet for the Nitronex NPTB00025. Freq of interest is 3 GHz.

**broken link removed**

On page 4 of the datasheet, Nitronex provides the geometries of the microstrip impedance mathing network. Using AWR's txline program, I calculated that the 265 mil x 441 mil trace is 18.2 ohms with an electrical length of 71 degrees. The impedance that should be presented to the output is 7.4 - j5.8 (see page 2 of datasheet).

This does not appear to be a quarter-wave transformer, being that the electrical length is not 90 degrees -- 600 mil would be about 90 degrees. And my understanding is that you need to get to the real axis on the Smith chart before implementing a QWT anyway.

So what is the effect of this 265x441 mil trace on the Smith Chart? Note that there is a similar trace implemented on the input side of the GaN amp.
To get similar values you must make sure you have the same substrate info

"Taconic RF35, t=30mil, er=3.5"

The 265x441 mil trace is to transform the Low impedance O/P to 50 Ohms, It could have been optimized by trial and error.
Note there is a DC feed trace that invalidates the QWT scenario.
Cheers

ou can't ignore the another trace at the output port, which is equal to shunting to GND.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back