Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EasyPIC PRO v7 and MPLAB

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyyy

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi guys.

Nobody has tested EasyPIC PRO v7 with MPLAB? Is it a good board?
Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

I believe that board has the RJ-12 ICSP port for use with Microchip PICkit or ICD.

If so, you should not have any issues either programming or debugging the device from MPLAB using either a PICkit or ICD.

If board doesn't have the RJ-12 ICSP port, you will need to use the mikroE programming utility to program the PIC with the compiled HEX from MPLAB.

And of course debugging the code from MPLAB is a hassle, although I've come across articles describing how it can be accomplished.

BigDog

Hi. You are very active today answering my question.
Thanks you very much for your help.

The manual says EasyPIC PRO™ v7 is equipped with RJ-12 connector. In your opinion does make sense to buy such board and use it without their compiler?

This is the support reply:

EasyPIC PRO v7 has mikroProg integrated onboard so you can use it with mikroProg suite which means that you can program it with any hex file.
So it should work with MPLAB. Hardware debugger will work only with mikroC , mikroPascal or mikroBasic compiler.

In your opinion does make sense to buy such board and use it without their compiler?

Although, I do own a license for the mikroC Pro compiler for PICs, I really do not care for it. It is the LEAST C89 and C99 standards compliant C Compiler available for the PIC.

It also has numerous quirks and idiosyncrasies which I have difficulty tolerating.

I've only had to utilize it a few times for a client whom had legacy code developed with the mikroC Pro Compiler.

I prefer Hi-Tech, which was purchased by Microchip, and the Microchip Compiler toolsuites.

EasyPIC PRO v7 has mikroProg integrated onboard so you can use it with mikroProg suite which means that you can program it with any hex file.
So it should work with MPLAB. Hardware debugger will work only with mikroC , mikroPascal or mikroBasic compiler.

You'll need to use a Microchip PICkit or ICD programmer/debugger to easily program and debug the code from within the MPLAB IDE.

If you want to use the EasyPIC's onboard programmer you'll need to use their programming application to download the HEX file generated within the MPLAB IDE.

Debugging using the EasyPIC's onboard debugger and MPLAB, while possible, is not worth the hassle in my opinion.

BigDog

So at this point...an equivalent board you fill confident to suggest which works with MPLAB?
Yes I have been using Hitech, the free version. I am interested in ethernet communication.

So at this point...an equivalent board you fill confident to suggest which works with MPLAB?
Yes I have been using Hitech, the free version. I am interested in ethernet communication.

Are you currently a student?

If so, Microchip offers a 25% discount for all development tools to students:

**broken link removed**

I'm bit partial for Microchip development boards, I often buy them second hand on eBay, etc.

Besides the PIC18F, what other PIC families would you like to use as a platform to develop Ethernet apps?

BigDog

Hi Tony,
EasyPICV7 have RJ-12 ICSP (ICD2) on board, you may use other programmer,
but if you have intention to use MPLab, I dont understand why you need EasyPICV7?
you need to find some dev.board from Microchip directly,
but if you are begginer EasyPICV7 dev board will allow you to learn allmost everithing about PIC mcu, you may use on this board every available PIC device in DIP packaging (all can fit on EasyPIC v7).
Microchip dev board dont have that possibilities,
you are interested for ethernet communication, the best choice from Microchip is PICDEM.net 2 Development Board (165USD),
but this board can not allow you to learn other possiblities of PIC mcu,
EasyPICV7 basic board cost 149 USD,
best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.