Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Common gate bias circuit for ATF541M4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravch

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Given: Vds = 3V and Ids = 60mA, Transistor = atf541m4
I am supposed to design a bias circuit in common gate configuration.
(using FETcurveTracer template in ADS2011 I found Vgs to be 0.58V in common source config.)

So I designed a bias circuit in common gate as shown in the image.
Is this a correct bias circuit?
CGbias.jpg

Internally the two source pins are connected together. I have never seen the circuit for a device like this use one of the pins only for dc and the other only for signal. It may work but doesn't look right to me and as I said never seen it done like that before.

Thank you guys for your replies.

@vfone
I am using this transistor bias for designing an oscillator. 10dB gain is good to have right?

@RealAEL
I have used the transistor model package in the simulation. I have to use this transistor which has two source pins after manufacturing the pcb. If we push in to hierarchy(below figure), we can see that these two source pins are parallel. That is why i used one source for dc and other for signal.

Can i use just source S1 for both dc and signal? keeping the other source pin S2 open?

Attachments

• atf541m4.jpg
    atf541m4.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 89

In common source configuration ATF541M4 has about 18dB gain, and most important, has lower noise figure than in common gate configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back