Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Practically applying DC bias on RF PCB

matcia

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am designing a circuit that needs to use an RF active switch, which requires a DC bias to work. I have seen from the manufacturer's designs that they are connecting the traces with the DC bias with an SMA adapter; is there a specific converter that can be used to convert from banana plugs to SMA or is there a better way to connect a DC power supply to the PCB?

Thank you.

Hi,

the question is, why to use banana connector at all, as thy occupy quite some space especially compared to a SMA connector. Further, I assume the DC bias current is quite low. You my also use a barrel jack connector.

If you are would like to use the banana connectors as they are more convenient for lab testing, I would propose to design a small converter PCB with an (edge-mounted) SMA connector and two banna connectors. Here you do not have any RF restrictions so you can order from one of the cheap chinese PCB manufacturers like JLCPCB.

Btw, there are SMA-BANANA cables available.

BR

Hi,

Like almost any electronics device, connectors are specified with voltage and current and other electrical measures.
I miss these informations in your post.

Klaus

In order to decrease the environment noise (coming from different sources) in other words improve the Noise Immunity. For instance, a VCO might be very sensitive to DC Bias line and it impacts directly to Phase Noise of the VCO.
SMA is not imperative, a BNC or smaller/bigger connector can be used, No importance.
There are Banana-to-Coaxial cables in the market.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back