Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bandgap reference circuit (patent : US 6933770 B1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning_curve

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
View attachment BGAP_patent_architecture.pdf

Hello all,

I was having some problems understanding what M1 and RB are used for in the attached bandgap schematic.
I understand the rest of the circuitry.

In a typical bandgap circuit, the output of the opamp goes to a current mirror, and Vbg is taken at the output (Drain) of the current mirror.
In this patent, the output of opamp is driving a CS transistor whose load is RB, I do not understand how this circuit works.

Can anybody help me understand this.

Thank you JoannesPaulus...
now I have trouble identifying positive feedback loop and negative feedback loop for this architecture.
So, just for analysis if I break the loop going to the + terminal of the opamp and I look at the loop
connected to the - terminal of the opamp, it looks like the loop connected to the - terminal has positive feedback...
but isn't this loop supposed to be negative feedback ?

The feedback loop keeps (V+)-(V-)=0. If you write the Kirchhoff law for the current you can readily identify the negative feedback.

Thank you, I was analysing it like this.

if V- increaes, error voltage (difference at opamp input decreases), therefore output of opamp decreases, therefore output of M1 increases
which means V- increases again --- > positive feedback. Isnt't this loop supposed to be having negative feedback since its feedback factor
will be greater than the feedback factor of the other loop with V+ terminal.

Not exactly: when the output of the op-amp decreases, the current thru M1 increases and (V-) decreases...

But since M1 is a Common source transistor, if its gate voltage (output of opamp) decreases the drain voltage should increase, this is what I understand.
So I dont understand why the drain voltage decreases.

Also, like you said if opamp output decreases, Vgs for the pmos increases, therefore more current flows, that should also result in V- voltage increasing, because V=I*R and VY has increased
because of more current flowing.

Is my understanding wrong ?

When the current thru M1 increases, the voltage drops over RB, RA1 and RA2 increase. Therefore VY decreases.

JoannesPaulus,

I am sorry, I am not able to understand how VY decreaes.
If voltage drops across RB, RA1 and RA2 increase then doesnt it mean that VY also increases. ?

If Vout is the bandgap voltage (kind of fixed). An increase "dI" in the loop current "I" will increase the voltage across RB, RB*(I+dI). The voltage VY is VY=Vout-RB*I and will become VY=Vout-RB*(I+dI), i.e. a lower voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back