Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3.5" TFT LCD - Interchangeable ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_K

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Folks,

I broke (fell on the ground and cracked the screen) the LCD Screen (Tianma TM035KDZ14 320x240 RGB - 3.5" TFT) on my Whistler Inspection Camera (IC-3409PX). Now it is totally useless.

I can't find anyone that sells any Tianma LCD Screens but Digi-Key sells a New Haven Display 3.5" TFT LCD (NHD-3.5-320240MF-ATXL#-1) that seems to have the same pinout and voltage rating. Other than that, I can't find any other data on the Tianma.

Is there anyone with TFT LCD knowledge that would know whether these two might be interchangeable under these conditions (pinout/voltage rating)? It appears to only be a digital interface to the screen. The timing might be an issue.. don't know. Can't find a datasheet for the Tianma.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

Apart from the manufacturer and specific model of the LCD, one of the most important specifications to consider for compatibility is the actual display controller/driver chipset utilized in the original LCD you are attempting to replace. If the replacement unit incorporates the same controller/driver chipset as the original then there might be a chance of compatibility.

There does appear to be replacement parts available:

3.5 -inch LCD screen TM035KDZ14

Engineering Po 3.5 inch LCD, 3.5 inch Tianma LCD TM035KDH03/TM035KDZ14

Also comparing datasheet specifications of the original to the replacement is always recommended.

BigDog

Attachments

• TM035KDH03-V13.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 98

Thanks for the info and the datasheet... I was looking for availability in North America. I never ordered directly from China before, the cost/shipping may be more than the whole thing is worth (if it even survived the trip).

I was hoping that the Displays would use a standard interface (SPI for example) and not have to worry about which Chipset they were using (not having ever programmed one, I don't know).

Thanks again.

Unfortunately, a common interface is only one variable to consider when selecting a replacement LCD, often different display controller chipsets require different methods of configuration and data transfer regardless of whether they share the same interface type.

Therefore, unless you are prepared to modify the devices firmware to accommodate for these differences, you chances of finding a suitable replacement based on interface type alone are not good.

While I have not personally purchased from Alibaba, I have bought a multitude of components from the Asian market and still do, with few disappointments. Several of the other members and moderators have expressed their satisfaction with Alibaba, apparently they go to great length to ensure the satisfaction of their customers, including safeguarding payment until the product arrives as promised. Shipping fees are typically in line with U.S. domestic rates, although shipping times can be longer.

It appears you can order a replacement with shipping for less than $30 from Alibaba.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back