Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TFT Backlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiwari.sachin

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using the below schematic to drive the backlights of the display. Also given are backlight LED specs

While using this, I see a lot of flickering and the IC and inductor also gets heated up.

Have a chosen a wrong part or am I missing something in the design.

Attachments

• BACKLIGHT.png
    BACKLIGHT.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 125

You are pulling close to 0.5 amps at 5v, which if powered from a USB source could be near limit. With switcher startup surge, make sure your 5v source can handle the peak current.

I am not using power from USB and the source is capable of supplying 5V 3A

Hi,
Have a chosen a wrong part
One of the most critical part is the inductor of the step up circuit. It needs to be carefully selected according IC datasheet.

Simple debugging tests are: measure 5V, 24V and the voltage across 33R whether they have the expected values and whether they are stable.
A DVM can give only raw (timing) informations, better use a scope.

You did use a 24V power supply circuit. It can't compensate for VF drifts (21.7V ... 24.5V). Why didn't you use a dedicated step up LED driver circuit?

Not related to the LED problem:
Don't use an inductor in the GND line of the LCD (L34). GND should be clean (low GND bounce), low impedance and should refer to a common GND level.
All signals (power, logic...) should refer to the same GND node.
An inductor in the GND line makes things worse.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back