Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Z state, Is it a software bug or a fault of the circuitry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ywguo

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Re: Z state, Is it a software bug or a fault of the circuitr

Hello,

I simulated a gate-level netlist with SDF annotation from layout using LDV 3.4 for LINUX. It showed Z state from a few registers at the waveform, although the simulation proved that the circuitry worked fine. First I suspected it was a bug of the waveform display. Then I printed the register value using $diaplay. It was Z state, too. The Z state didn't propagate to the next register. For eg., in a shift register, the 26th register was Z, but the 27th register had never capture a Z state from the 26th register.

I am really confused. Any comments are welcome.

Thanks.

Yawei

Added after 37 minutes:

Hi,

I found it is a fault by myself. After optimization of the PR tool, the netlist had changed a little. Some ports and signals changed, but the declaration for the original wires are still there and become hi Z when simulation.

Thanks
Yawei

Re: Z state, Is it a software bug or a fault of the circuitr

Hi ywguo,
Z : a floating value, a signal not driven by any component.It is an high impedance state. for eg:
if enable of tristate inverter is not active then output will be Z i.e., the output pin is not driven by any component.
Was it help full.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back