Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Write permission on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

safwatonline

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Permissions

hello,
i mounted my FAT32 drives on linux fedora core 3 , i mount them in a folder called /other-drives
i can read them fine from the user account and from the root , but i want to write on them from linux , i cannot do it from the user , as i dont have permission to write , i tried to give this permission to my user account from root but when i check the box in permissions , it dont want to be checked !!! , shouldnt the root be able to do this, also i added my account "user" to both root group and adm group " i thought it may be adminstrator"
but the problem is that write permissions is given tto Owner only which is the root,
any idea how to fix that?
thnx,
a.safwat

Re: Permissions

I had the same problem....I'll see what I can find for you.

Try this one...didn't read through everything.
Code:
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/debian-linux-help/58112-how-do-i-change-permissions-hard-disk.html?highlight=fat32

You can try to search through linuxforums.org for others aswell.

safwatonline

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Permissions

just use this command chmod -777 and the directory u want to give access to....check man chmod for complete info......

safwatonline

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Permissions

May be you try to log on as su, so you could access and write to some directory.

Did you tried setting permissions to the mount directory (like /mnt/fat32) ? .
Also check if you specified at /etc/fstab with option "user".

You can't set permissions files inside FAT32 drive.

Or are you sure it wasn't an NTFS filesystem ?

hi
you must right click on your icon and choose permisson and then click write to tick it then your program will become writeable.
bye

Try the folloing in the /etc/fstab file
Code:
/dev/hda2       /mnt/C_Drive   vfat    rw        0       2

or like

Code:
/dev/hda2       /mnt/C_Drive   vfat    defaults        0       2

Status
Not open for further replies.