Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What was your primary motivation for switching to Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luffy_33

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The vibe I get from linux is the major thing that draws me in. I get the impression that I'm using someone else's computer when I use Windows. It's as if I don't have any control over anything. I feel like Linux is my system, and I have complete control over it.

[SIGNATURE LINK REMOVED - BUSINESS RELATED]

Last edited by a moderator:

Mainly a lot of engineering applications which are
developed first in Linux and maybe (or never)
ported to Windows.

That, and no license per machine hostage situation.

Hello,

the first and he most important advanced shell (for example bash) and the lot of small console applications (commands) which one can use together. Second many programming languages compilers which are good and free. The third - stability of the OS and failure-free workings. The - last many advanced engineering applications (also maths) for free.

Best

For me, far greater programming flexibility and built in tools. Also not having to keep paying for upgrades to stand still.

I found out the hard way about the latter point when 150 systems went down after a Windows 'update'.

Brian.

A story from an IT manager at a sizeable company, paraphrasing -

"Our systems were windows, and mail server would go down almost
monthly due to updates. Converted to Linux and in 3 years, at that
point in time, system never failed."

I dabble in Linux, found program installation quirky/involved. Seems
its somewhat better now. I found a lot of command line interaction to
get things working, Tedious. Windows installed base has directed most
development firsts for that platform. Linux secondary. Hardware driver
support has gotten better.

Regards, Dana.

I decided it's wise to make a non-Windows boot disk. I installed Ubuntu years ago on my laptop however applications provided with it didn't run. Possible cause: lack of correct drivers. Anyway WinXP was not that problematic. I ran it every couple weeks to use my aging scanners.

I tried ReactOS on my Win7 laptop (vintage 2009). I managed to figure out how to install the drivers so I could access the internet over both ethernet and wifi. However it did not recognize my scanners.

I've had success with Zorin Linux OS. I chose the larger free version which comes with numerous programs. It gave problem-free install on my Win7 laptop. Running is smooth and quick. I access the internet via ethernet cable. The included utility Simple-Scan works with my old scanners. Zorin Linux saves me money.

With my Win10 laptop I get increasing incentive to try a Linux version. Win10 runs sluggish and crashes every other day at inconvenient moments. I'm convinced it uses time doing unnecessary activities in the background. After I click the mouse on an icon, it takes a few seconds to open.

I received an un-asked-for Windows Update today
and my Win10Pro machine is now telling me about
Windows 11. I expect soon I'll be force-fed?

Linux doesn't try to stick its hand down your pants
unless you ask.

Another plus for Linux - yesterday a friends PC died, not booting and powering off after a few seconds. It didn't get as far as initializing video and no diagnostic beeps so fault finding would be difficult. It was an i3 CPU on a motherboard with 2GB RAM and internal video controller.

I salvaged an old i7 board with 6GB RAM and and plug-in Nvidia video card and did a 'transplant'. The original hard disks, PSU and peripheral devices were used and it ran exactly as my friend was used to. No asking for a new license or activation codes, the only difference was it ran a bit faster.

Brian.

Around 2007 I realized the primary purpose of Windows seemed to be to run antivirus software. After a couple of malware experiences on XP I switched to Ubuntu at the suggestion of a Google software engineer. I have run Ubuntu for 14 years without any of the Windows headaches. I recently bought a new laptop that has windows 10 pre- installed. It "blue screened" continually. Ran slower with every software update. Was unusable while it was updating software, and at times it took over a 1/2 hour to boot because Windows was updating.
The history of Linux and the Gnu project reveals the creators of Linux are people passionate about creating an outstanding open source operating system.

Last edited:
From about 2006 I work ONLY with Linux. Motivations are:
  • no virus (I never never see one)
  • no license
  • no forced upgrade
  • stability stability stability
  • giant communities and help
  • source code available
  • lightness
  • if you learn Linux for your PC, you learn it for embedded devices
  • many professional software are written natively for Linux
  • personalization
  • less sensitive to the PC age
If you use Linux for a quite long time, you never come back, because it would mean giving up too many things.
Lollo

I moved to Linux 10 years ago, mainly I because I did not want to pay the Micrsoft Licence fee.

There is the other problem of installing Windows applications required and find that 5 other appication not required had been installed.

As others have said no viruses, do not crash, always supported.

I used to miss Autocad but LibreCad is a nice free CAD programme KiCad maybe as good as Altium, FreeCAD better than Solidworks...

Regards,
Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.