Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Windows 7 icon refresh problem after downloading files

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalloutBoy

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am running Windows 7 Home 64bit and keep driving this problem that is driving me insane.

I download a file from the internet and tell it to save to the Desktop ; however when I look at the Desktop even though it says the transfer is finished there is nothing there, repeating the download results in a file overwrite dialogue so the file has downloaded and the only way I can find to make the file viewable on the desktop is to refresh the screen by pressing F5.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and does anyone know of a fix for it?

After it is downloaded go to "search programs and files" (from start button) to see where it has put it.
My guess is it is saving it elsewhere for some reason.

I'm still getting used to Win7 on my new laptop after moving from my trusty, reliable, robust XP system and not used to the 'Library' structure yet so had to find files as above.....

Just done a complete rebuild after persistent 'hangs' and crashes during start up, which seems to have solved my problems.
Just for interest Adobe reader X seems to have been possibly the cause or slightly less suspected is my Nero install, but I don't really know at the moment!

the only way I can find to make the file viewable on the desktop is to refresh the screen by pressing F5
Yes, so what's the problem?

This things happens with MS Windows, also Win XP by the way.

Yes, so what's the problem?

This things happens with MS Windows, also Win XP by the way.

While the file is actually where it's meant to be the Icon for the file is not displayed, this never happened to me on my previous machine with windows XP pro installed, I have also noticed when I delete files that sometimes they appear not to delete I.E the icon for the file is still there but if you try and delete it again it says file not found, if you press F5 then the icon vanishes.

This is not normal behaviour.

- - - Updated - - -

After it is downloaded go to "search programs and files" (from start button) to see where it has put it.
My guess is it is saving it elsewhere for some reason.

I'm still getting used to Win7 on my new laptop after moving from my trusty, reliable, robust XP system and not used to the 'Library' structure yet so had to find files as above.....

Just done a complete rebuild after persistent 'hangs' and crashes during start up, which seems to have solved my problems.
Just for interest Adobe reader X seems to have been possibly the cause or slightly less suspected is my Nero install, but I don't really know at the moment!

I know that the file is in the right place, it's simply that the icon has not been displayed for it, if I run up a command prompt and pop into the desktop directory for the profile I can do a dir filename.foo and see that its there but cant get the gui to display it without pressing F5 to refresh the screen, its a pain in the butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.