Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Wind energy regulation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawid5255252

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have 3-phase wind-turbine 20kW with inverter connected to my home electric instalation. I installed it to heat water in a boiler, like in schematic below:

Heater in boiler is also 20kW.
But now I have a problem: when there is weak wind and low wind-turbine energy production, most energy is gether from my electric grid, to heat a boiler. For example, when wind-turbine is producting 5kW, there are gether 15kW from grid.
This is very unprofitable system, because I want only to supply boiler with energy that comes from wind-turbine. So when it produces 5kW energy, then 5kW should be provide to heat a boiler, no more.
Additional complication is that the inverter MUST be connected to the electric grid. In other case it doesn't work.

Here is my question:
What electronics or power regulators should I use to solve this problem?
Has anyone had a similar problem and has already working solutions?

Hi dawid5255252,

An interesting matter....
Can you explain how you've integrated power from wind turbine and power from grid. What is the controlling method of power delivery?
What is the lowest power limit that boiler can work only with power from wind turbine? - if the wind power not available is this the expected power to be fetched from Grid ?

It sounds like you are using a stand-alone off-grid inverter. What you need is a "grid tied" inverter. This inserts power from your generator AFTER your electricity meter so you are not charged for what you produce yourself. If your generator outut is low, the remaining demand comes from the grid. I generate about 2.5KW from solar PV panels this way, the only drawback is that for safety reasons, a grid tied inverter will immediately switch off if the grid fails. They have to do this to comply with legal requirements in most countries so you cannot feed electricity in to a faulty line while it is being repaired.

The nice thing about grid tied inverters is you can use more than one in parallel to increase your capacity or add new power sources.

Brian.

I solved the problem. I bought simple power regulator with driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back