Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will stand-alone LDO contain capacitor on its chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesseyu1984918

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm quite intrested fo learn if those stand-alone LDO has its own on-chip capacitor? Since for an LDO chip, it has quite big area( say 3mm by 3mm on a datasheet), wouldn't it be good to use those space to build capacitor on chip? maybe it will save the cap outside.
But this also will increase the price for one die, would there be a balance between the cap size and area?
Thanks.
Sincerely
Jesse

jesseyu1984918 said:
... stand-alone LDO has its own on-chip capacitor? Since for an LDO chip, it has quite big area( say 3mm by 3mm on a datasheet), wouldn't it be good to use those space to build capacitor on chip? maybe it will save the cap outside.
But this also will increase the price for one die, would there be a balance between the cap size and area?
Area capacitance value below amended. erikl

The lion's share of an LDO chip area is used by the output transistor. On-chip capacitor size is only about 10 fF/(µm)² = 10nF/(mm)² (for a 0.18µm process), so it is impossible to embed a reasonable high filter cap. Only compensation caps in the order of 10pF are integrated on-chip. Additional on-chip filter caps in the order of 100pF are possible, and just tolerable in view of cost.

10nF per square mm? I want one! I think 10aF per square micron is only 10pF per square mm. Mind you, I am more used to seeing 1fF or 2fF per square um. Are you sure the 10aF is correct?

Keith

keith1200rs said:
10nF per square mm? I want one! I think 10aF per square micron is only 10pF per square mm. Mind you, I am more used to seeing 1fF or 2fF per square um. Are you sure the 10aF is correct? Keith
Sorry, I had mixed up femto with atto. The equation below is now corrected.
For a 0.18µm process, tox=4.2e-09 m . Cox=εr(SiO2)*ε0/tox=(3.9*8.854e-12 F/m)/4.2e-09 m = 8.2e-03 F/m² = 8.2 fF/(µm)² = 8.2 nF/(mm)²
1(mm)² = 1e6 (µm)²

keith1200rs said:
10nF per square mm? I want one!
You could get it ... if you're willing to pay for it ;-)

keith1200rs said:
But 8.2aF * 1e6 = 8.2pF not 8.2nF! aF=1e-18.
Keith
Oh yes, very sorry indeed! I had mixed up atto against femto. The equation above is now correct. But it's still 8.2nF/(mm)² .

You wouldn't expect to spend 1(mm)² of Si for a compensation cap of about 10pF ?

erikl said:
You wouldn't expect to spend 1(mm)² of Si for a compensation cap of about 10pF ?

No, that's why your numbers didn't make sense to me! I did say 10aF seemed rather low in my earlier post. I normally expect around 1fF/ square um for poly-poly. Gate poly depends on the process. Most of my desigsn are 0.35um or larger with around 2fF for 0.8um and 5fF for 0.35um.

Keith.

keith1200rs said:
erikl said:
No, that's why your numbers didn't make sense to me! I did say 10aF seemed rather low in my earlier post.
Of course you were right, Keith! Sorry for creating such confusion!

keith1200rs said:
I normally expect around 1fF/ square um for poly-poly. Gate poly depends on the process. Most of my desigsn are 0.35um or larger with around 2fF for 0.8um and 5fF for 0.35um.
Keith.
Sure, these are appropriate numbers for those processes. My (now corrected) value was for a 0.18µm process: 8fF/(µm)². Fits well, I guess.

[quote="erikl"
Sure, these are appropriate numbers for those processes. My (now corrected) value was for a 0.18µm process: 8fF/(µm)². Fits well, I guess.[/quote]

Yes. I just looked up one of the 0.18um processes I use and it is 8.5fF/(µm)². I must admit I don't come across "atto" very often - only when a simulation goes horribly wrong :)

Keith.

keith1200rs said:
... I must admit I don't come across "atto" very often - only when a simulation goes horribly wrong :)
Keith.
Right. In the end there are just 6 electrons per volt. Not quite easy to keep them, is it? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back