Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why a guard ring with width of guidewave-length/2 suppress the surface wave of microstrip antennas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatoAn

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I got a problem about the guard ring of microstrip antennas.
In this figure, there is a guard ring around the dipole. It is designed to suppress the surface wave.
In the paper, the author expresses as: it helps to suppress the surface wave because the guard ring of width wr=lamda_g/2 functions as an open circuit to the surface wave. However, I don't understand why the guard ring function as an open circuit and thus the surface wave is suppressed.

Thanks all.
1607936030840.png

I don't have the dimensions of the antenna from the picture you posted, but keeping the proportions the results which I got should be fine.
With the guard ring in place the return loss S11 is better with more than 10dB (from -9dB to -20dB) compared with no-ring situation.
But the radiation pattern looks much different when using the guard ring. Has more parasitic lobes, which means less radiated power from the main lobes.

Attachments

• no_ring.jpg
    no_ring.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 64
  • with_ring.jpg
    with_ring.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 61

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor