Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which type of OTA should I use for designing a bandgap buffer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyanata

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have to design buffer for bandgap voltage=1.2V at 0.35LV technology.
The requrements are low noise, gain>65dB, PM>70deg, GBW>6MHz, SR>10V/uS, VDDmin=2.4V.

Can any one give me advice wich type OTA is most approprite for this goal,
Now I try to use folded casscode OTA as a first stage, after that invertr with Miller capacitor, and after that the source follwer. Is it the better case?

Re: Bandgap_buffer

tyanata said:
I have to design buffer for bandgap voltage=1.2V at 0.35LV technology.
The requrements are low noise, gain>65dB, PM>70deg, GBW>6MHz, SR>10V/uS, VDDmin=2.4V.

Can any one give me advice wich type OTA is most approprite for this goal,
Now I try to use folded casscode OTA as a first stage, after that invertr with Miller capacitor, and after that the source follwer. Is it the better case?

bandgap buffer amplifiers are often loaded with large capcitors, so 70deg Pm is
difficult for two stage amplifier( if you set the pole of 1st stage as dominant pole).
folded cascode amplifier is more noisy than telescopic amplifier.

Hi

One thing to remember: in your application the gain is fixed(around 2), so this alleviates the stability problem somewhat.

As swicap pointed, load capacitances are often very large, so it is better to set the output pole as the dominant pole.

Therefore, besides two stage miller compensated OTA, another possible option is: put a low gain,wide band buffer amplifier before telescopic op-amp.

hope it helps:)

regards,
jordan76

One of the problems

The telescopic stage is unapproprate because the circuit has to can wark at VDD=2.4V and on the output of the source follower we have about 1.2 by default + Vth worst case = about 0.8V + Vds sat about 0.1V , hence the input of the source follower could be at 2.1Vworst case.

Re: One of the problems

tyanata said:
The telescopic stage is unapproprate because the circuit has to can wark at VDD=2.4V and on the output of the source follower we have about 1.2 by default + Vth worst case = about 0.8V + Vds sat about 0.1V , hence the input of the source follower could be at 2.1Vworst case.

since ur gain requirement is low, you needn't use telescopic amplifier.
A simple amplifier as first stage is ok, which also improves frequency response.

Agree, a simple 5 MOS diffamp buffer will do the job

Decision

Finally I used telescopic OTA, after that PMOS source follower to preserve the OTA from the output follower, and after that the output NMOS follower. It became quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back