Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which one is the best PIC programmer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsaiwayne

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
best pic programmer

There are several PIC programmer in market which are

1. most cheap JDM

2. Parallel Port Programmer Propic2

3. Bootloader type : Warp13 , Warp13-a , GTP lite (plus) , Wisp628.

4. Authentic Microchip programmer : PICKIT2 , In-Circuit-Debugger2

Please teach me ?

Thanks in advance !:cry::arrow::arrow::arrow::D:D:D

best pic programmer to buy

there is nothing called the best. just choose according to your requirement

best pic programmer

I'm using for a few years a parallel programmer (ICSP) with any free software available (ic-prog, winpic, etc) for lab programming and a modified jdm for field programming (ICSP, and +5V stolen from laptop's USB, programming voltage from the charge pump tripler of the RS232 converter).
Even for hundred of PICs programmed monthly there is not necessary a better programmer than a prototype programmer.
If you are a very beginner and need a lot of debug, then build the free ICD clone described on other topic, but sometime a LED and a serial connection to PC could be the same debugger like an ICD with breakpoints.

propic 1 parallel programmer

I have JDM, Propic 2,
But since I buy an ICD2, I use ICD2 almost for all projects.

warp 13 rx28 firmware

The ICD2 wins hands down

best pic programmer prototype

dear
i am using
Parallel Port Programmer Propic2
it's very good one

pic programmer toronto

As some one has already mentioned there isnt anything as best, no one can declare any programmer as best.
Best for you would be the one that fits your needs perfectly, for some JDM would be the best, for some even ICD2 is not best, depends entirely upon your requirements.

ICD2 supports USB, ICSP + all ICs from Microchip

tsaiwayne said:
There are several PIC programmer in market which are

1. most cheap JDM

2. Parallel Port Programmer Propic2

3. Bootloader type : Warp13 , Warp13-a , GTP lite (plus) , Wisp628.

4. Authentic Microchip programmer : PICKIT2 , In-Circuit-Debugger2

Please teach me ?

Thanks in advance !:cry::arrow::arrow::arrow::D:D:D

All program the firmware but no all debug

vsmGuy said:
ICD2 supports USB, ICSP + all ICs from Microchip

Well not ALL the PICs are supported, but the majority are.

But it's still about the best programmer for PICs, and the debugger is very useful.

WARP-13A is best, many many pic support and fast.

A PICkit 2 is an excellent programmer, USB support, fast, lots of features. A few nice clones out there including mine.

tha said:
WARP-13A is best, many many pic support and fast.

Not by a long shot, it's been discontinued for years.

WARP-13A PIC Programmer from Newfound Electronics -

(May 22, '04). I no longer sell the WARP13.

For people with older units operating at 4.0 MHz, I will continue to offer an upgrade PIC16F876 programmed with the current RX28 firmware version, a 20 MHz resonator and a small piece of solder wick to aid in removing the current 4.0 MHz resonator. The upgrade kit may be purchased from my Amazon shop.

I do not know how long I will offer this service.

abidr said:
As some one has already mentioned there isnt anything as best, no one can declare any programmer as best.
Best for you would be the one that fits your needs perfectly, for some JDM would be the best, for some even ICD2 is not best, depends entirely upon your requirements.
Agree. Just find one working and fitting your budget.:D

I think the best is a Pickit2 clone it is support 3.3v chip :) my pcb design will be ready soon

I think ICD2 is the best because you can program and debug you program, also it programs the DSPIC.

Both ICD2 and PICKit2 are great.
Both support programming and debugging.

JDM programmer is simple but have no consistancy in programming the PIC.

The PICkit 2 is my pick these days, cheap to buy or easy to build. Debugs and programs most of the 8bit line (10F thru 18F)

Status
Not open for further replies.