Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which microcontroller do you use or prefer and why?

Which microcontroller do you use or prefer and why?

• PIC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AVR

• MSP430

• HC(S)08/HC(S)12

• PSoC

• ST6/ST7

• Z80

• ARM

• ANOTHER ONE

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The type of microcontroller we are using depends on the need. We can use ATMEL 8051 for simple projects, since it is very easy to program as well as easier to develop. We can use PIC for other projects, since we have more compilers available for pic in the market.[/quote]

folks

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I use various microcontrollers such as 8051 family and ARM based micros. In addition I´m able to implement high level solutions on top of these microcontrollers

dear friends

i think there's something we have to check
there are two catagories in this.
when we concider the susyetm design,generally we check the processor suitable for the project.here the question is not specific.how can you compare the 8 bit/16 bit/32 bit processors?
we could have split the survey in to parts so that we will get specific answers.normally people used to wotk with the 8 bit mcu's so the rating for the same will come up.
this is my openion.what do you think?

regards

ml

I prefer AVR(ATmega series) for the majority of applications. Easy to program, plenty of code around and much faster than PIC's. But for motor control i preffer dsPIC30F series...

For no problems products PIC is the best, very stable .... but difficult to debug in more complex programs. The more easy for use in USB device applications, thanks for Microchip samples in both sides, controller and PC and more easy to buy and select, greats to very big family.
MSP430 is good and easy to program and debug using JTAG is very good. But for get some resources only in families more expensive, and some ghost problems like locks are present.
Now I`m starting with ARM7 from NXP and ARM9 from Cirrus (for linux usage) and both are very good micros ... ARM series, has good forums and done samples for everything from SD CARD codes and IP stacks, sometimes just flash, without changes and prices are very low ... NXP has the LPC2103 with 32K of flash 8K of RAM some resources (UART, SPI, D/A, A/D ...) run at 60MHz, with IAR in free version for this memory size for just $2,15 FOB. The NXP LPC2366 with 256K flash and 56K ram and all resources (ethernet for example) costs just $4,74 more cheaper than a MSP430F149.

But all choices dependes of application...

leomecma

best choice is 8051 because lot of data is availble to us in both hard and soft forms about it while whole of its work resembles intel which is mostly used.Also its cost is small.
but on the other hand AVR is costly but works on the same architecture (harvard architecture) as 8051.but have greater speed also its commands are simple and speed is much greater because it has cpu internal register of about 32

folks

I prefer using C51 from Silicon Laboratories because:
- it is fast (one clock cycle = one machine cycle and 70% of instructions takes 1 or 2 cycles),
- has jtag,
- has good quality ADCs (from 8 to 24 bits resolution depending on model, my favourite one is F060 with two 16bit 1MSps ADCs) and DACs (12bit, 10us) and stable reference voltage built in,
- has crossbar for I/O signals and I can decide how signals will be connected to pins (to which of them).

folks

the_risk_master said:
Why Zilog's are weak? besides that their uCons are mostly OTPs
When I was studying microcontrollers in our school, we use Z8 Emulators

i like z8 especially the latest encore, no banking and paging, relocatable stack, multiple and relocatable working registers, multiple pointers, any register accepts immediate values, rich peripheral set, 3 pin debugging.

the problem is, they do not sell in small quantities, i have once called a local distributor who told me they do not entertain such quantity.

AVR ,AT91SAM7 (ARM7 series from all vendors liks as atmel,st,philips)

I use 8051 and clones.

Rarely I use PIC.

Mr.Cube

PIC... the tools and supports are the best.

I use Atmel 8-bit uControllers:
Atmel 89Cxx51 or AVR tiny for Simple projects
Atmel AVR mega for more powerful projects

folks

PIC is the best
due to its less number of instructions and easy to use

folks

PIC : availability, easy to use, lot of libraries & cheap

I like AVR because most AVR has ADC and SPI

folks

I use AVR & ARM , both have excellent free GCC compilers.

/Bingo

Status
Not open for further replies.