Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Linux is the best for installing in home pc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

masai_mara

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Linux for home pc?

Hi,
I would like to know which linux is bext for installing in home pc. I will be making the system dual bootable with windows and linux, so there should be no problems. any suggestions will be appreciated.

thanks.

Re: Linux for home pc?

I have installed both SUSE linux and REDHAT linux dual booting with Window NT and Windows XP without any issues. They are fairly straight forward to install.

I would suggest Mandrake linux, it is very user-friendly and popular distribution.

A good place to read about different linux distributions is here:

https://distrowatch.com/

Linux for home pc?

I suggest you can install redhad 7.3.it's more suitable for EDAsoftware.

Linux for home pc?

I prefer CD versions of Linux, because usually I use Windows. Linux is just a seldom option for me. For such task you can try Knoppix.

hi,
I have installed both redhat as well as suse with window xp. i think for development porpuse Red hat is better but for look and feel its suse.

Linux for home pc?

most eda company suggest redhat. for friendly, mandrake better. no try suse, just want.

It will depends on what you want to do for your Linux platform . For Windows , there is no doubt you dont have second choice . For Linux , there are lot of distributed linux version you can choice .

If you want to use EDA software , the Redhat 7.2 will let you have least problem .

For the new PC , you need to consider about the hardware compatibility . The version newer means it support more hardware .

I would like to go for linux in cd's, any ideas of genuine places from where I can buy them(cheap) ??(they should have international shipping)

You can just find in on Redhat's website

or Google !!!

I think suse is great on L&F and ease of use.
Try .. it ...

Linux for home pc?

if u do it only for EDA,u should use redhat 7.3.

Get more information, and download the necessary ISO image files for making bootable CD's at www.linuxiso.org site contains tutorials for making the CD's, descriprions of the different distributions, and lots of other information.

Linux for home pc?

my linux seldom used for there is only IC5033 on it.

get a RHEL 3.. its really stable.. its the best linux kernel for all most all EDA Tools!

with regards,

Linux for home pc?

Tried Mandrake 10.1 --- Very good for home user

Linux for home pc?

if u want to work at home,RH8.0 is good for u.

Linux for home pc?

if you use some new version of EDA tools, you should install RHEL 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.