Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which is better for DSP implementation, FPGA or TMS320?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pngzhi

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
FPGA is better for dsp implenetation or TMS320?

tms320 vs fpga

Hi Friend,

TMS 320 series is very efficient due to its very good architecture.

But make decisions according to your application.

Regads,
Avinash.S.

pngzhi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
division tms320

Hi,

It depends on your ability to write C/C++ or Verilog/VHDL code and also on your application. For example if your application involves lots of division operations, it may be better to design your circuit in HDL, since some of the TMS320 series doesn't have hardware division ability.(Assumed that you can write the necassery HDL code good enough to make divisions faster than the TMS of course).
If you're going to implement digital filters or other signal processing operations, TMS series (or some other DSP) would be probably faster because they have very good architecture with lots of features optimized for DSP algorithms.

Regards.

pngzhi

Re: FPGA or TMS320

I would say go for TMS320 for DSP applications.
Since the architecture of TMS320 suits the complex algorithms of DSP

pngzhi

Hi,

For DSP applications, latest DSP processors better than FPGAs.

If you need more details, contact me.

pngzhi

Once again the recurrent question comes back: Better FPGA or DSP for signal processing?

The answer is always the same: depends on the application.
DSP are easier to program (most of the work is in C/C++) and generally have good processing power (latest chip from TI runs at GHz speed!) but if you have to process high data rates streams even the most powerful DSP could be too slow and so you have to do all the job in FPGA/ASIC or at least to use an FPGA to do the higher rate processing acting as co-processor to a DSP or GPP.
Beside this simple considerations the designer should evaluate also other parameters like costs and time to market.
If you have time to spent you could search in this same forum and/or in the web and find lot of material about this subject.

Regards

Mowgli

pngzhi

FPGA or TMS320

As mowgli says, it depends on the application. My applications usually have large amounts of moderately simple calculation, and FPGA wins by a landslide. The signal processing that I'm now doing in one medium-size FPGA would require dozens of TI's most powerful DSP chips. From my point of view, DSPs went obsolete about eight years ago. However, your application may be better served by a DSP chip.

pngzhi

hello
i wanna make a portable device battery powered for real time fft and digital filters.
i need to low power chip.
my device use from 4.3 inch tft touch screen for display.
tms320vc5509 is a good choice
cycloneIII better than from tms320vc5509?
please advice me.

thank you

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.