Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which filter toplogy is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixofdynamism

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Initially I thought that it is Sallen-Key but then I realized that it does not have any positive feedback using a resistor so it can't be sallen key. This filter is given in page 260 of Practical Electronics for Inventors.

filter.png

The image is attached to this question.

This is of course Sallen Key topology. Don't know what you mean with "positive feedback using resistor"?

It is the classical unity-gain Sallen-Key topology.
A negative feedback loop sets the gain of the stage (in this case: unity) and the frequency-dependent RC part resembles the positive feedback topology.

What I meant to say is that the Sallen-Key uses positive feedback via capacitor. Sorry for saying resistor. Most of what I have seen as labelled Sallen Key is slightly different from this filter given in the book. I have attached the Sallen Key from wikipedia.

400px-Sallen-Key_Lowpass_General_svg.png

There is a capacitor that connects the output to the noninverting input. That is precisely what I don't find in the circuit from the book.

- - - Updated - - -

here is comparison of the transfer functions:

Maybe Sallen-Key
mysterious filter.png

Certainly Sallen-Key
sallen-key.png

That is precisely what I don't find in the circuit from the book.
Both circuits are exactly the same, just drawn a bit different. Look sharp.

Hi,

as far as I can see all three pictures show exactely the same circuit. (Also exactely the same as in post#1 the left picture)

--> Unity gain, two pole Sallen-Key low pass filter.

Klaus

OK, I see, what confused me was how the feedback input was connected. Now it all makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally, does it matter in what order the different stages of a multistage filter are connected? Each stage would be a 2 pole or 3 pole filter.

Finally, does it matter in what order the different stages of a multistage filter are connected? Each stage would be a 2 pole or 3 pole filter.

Because of dynamic range considerations, it is advantageous to place the stage with the largest Q at the end of the chain (sequence from small to larger Q factors).

The positive feedback's purpose is to create the filter, but would not that affect the stability ? Or can be used as a simple filter with no restrictions ?

Of course, a high-Q filter is more close to the stability limit than a low-Q design. However, this is the nature of the filter´s transfer function (and the corresponding pole location).
This applies to ALL filter topologies and, thus, constitutes no additional criterion for selecting one of the various filter topologies.

It depends. The filter with negative feedback factor of 1 is unconditionally stable because the positive feedback is always smaller than the negative. Sallen key filters with gain can become unstable with unsuitable RC values (not implementing a useful filter characteristic).

It depends. The filter with negative feedback factor of 1 is unconditionally stable because the positive feedback is always smaller than the negative. Sallen key filters with gain can become unstable with unsuitable RC values (not implementing a useful filter characteristic).

Perhaps I misunderstand something - do you speak of parts tolerances and sensitivities to these tolerances? In this case, I agree of course.
On the other hand, a second-order filter with a pole-Q of Qp=5.58 (second stage of a 4th-order Chebyshev filter, w=3 dB) has a stability margin which is smaller than in case of Qp=1.077 (first stage of this filter). And, of course, these values (and the corresponding stability properties) are independent on the filter topology.

No, I meaned to say that the circuit in post #9 is resilient against becoming unstable, even with arbitrary wrong RC values. But I agree with your general viewpoint that stability is a matter of pole locations and not of the filter circuit.

Without the positive feedback the two RC filters create a very gradual corner that begins far from the cutoff frequency and the calculated cutoff frequency is at -6dB instead of at -3dB. The positive feedback causes the response to be Butterworth that has a sharp cutoff frequency that is at -3dB but it causes a little damped ringing at the cutoff frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.