Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which 16 bit microcontroller is the best ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeleC

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sta2051 development kit

which 16 bit uC is the best ?
performance wise , money wise?

Re: 16bit uC

For what applications ?
CPU Speed (MIPS), memory ( Flash & RAM ) requests ?
I/O pins count ?
Peripheral controlers Timer, PWM, Serial, ADC, DAC ....

For low power and medium speed look TI MSP430 ultra low power
flash microcontrollers.
http://www.ti.com/msp430

So far, the 16 bit MCU that i'm using is m16c Renesas MCU. Can do all the requirement that i want...
Try to look for this website:
www.renesas.com

16bit uC

im looking for a 16bit uC that can support hard mathematics with extended mode addressing and it is not necessary a low power . with 10 bit ADC and UART

ZeleC said:
im looking for a 16bit uC that can support hard mathematics with extended mode addressing and it is not necessary a low power . with 10 bit ADC and UART

What mean "hard mathematics" ? Integer or floating point ? needed speed MIPS FLOPS ?
What is requests for "extended mode addressing" ? RAM ROM size ?

16bit uC

why do u not select the 32 risc? it is more usable than the 16bit

ive been an 8bit uC programmer hc11 and PIC16F for mainly 3 years , and i want to start with 16bit ,i think that 32 bit is more expensive then 16bit :roll:
i was impressed with the c16x series from infineon ,but the problem was if i wanted to buy a development kit to start learning the development kits available are all expensive .
so im searching for a general 16bit that has affordable development starter kits and that can support complex design .

agree with dainis:

MPS430 is low consuption 16bit uC

LPC2119 @30MHz is very cheap (around 10 euros) (128K Flash, 16K RAM UART, CAN and 4Ch 10 bit ADC)
//a

16bit uC

ok thank you guys
now between the lpc2xxx and mps430 which of these two microcroller offer more litterature and is more easy to learn .

If you have a good compiler/debugger it's the same thing!
//a

hi
Why cant dsPic frm microchip

I hope its also good.

Regards
Gopi

ZeleC said:
ok thank you guys
now between the lpc2xxx and mps430 which of these two microcroller offer more litterature and is more easy to learn .
They are both very popular devices, but for different reasons.
MSP430 is very popular for battery operated devices because of it's extremly low power consumption.

LPC2xxx is a 32-bit ARM7TDMI MCU which is much faster than MSP430.
The perfomance of the 16-bit MSP430 is comparable to the 8-bit AVR.

ARM is some sort of "industry standard" among 32-bit MCUs.
You can compare it to 8051 in the 8-bit world, because there is so many different verdors of ARM MCUs, just like the case with 8-bit MCUs.

ARM7TDMI can run in either 16- or 32-bit mode, with two different instructin sets. In 16-bit mode it uses the THUMB instuction set and in 32-bit mode it uses the ARM insruction set. Using the 16-bit THUMB instruction set will make the code smaller in most applications but will also make it slower.
Try to read "Introduction to Atmel AT91 ARM7TDMI-based Microcontrollers": **broken link removed**
This is a good introduction to ARM7TDMI MCUs and there's a good comparison between the ARM7 instruction set and the THUMB instruction set.
ARM vs. THUMB: **broken link removed**

You should also read this new press release from Atmel:
Atmel Introduces World's First Sub $3 ARM7 Flash Microcontroller
**broken link removed**
The brand new AT91SAM7Sxx seems very promising, and they will be a very stong competitor to Philips LPC2xxx in the low end ARM market.
They will even challange some of the high-end 8-bit MCUs like Atmels own high pin-count ATmega AVR's.
Both Philips LPC2xxx amd Atmel AT91SAM7Sxx has 5 V tolerant inputs, but not all ARM7 families has that.

There is also another popular 32-bit MCU core called MIPS.

Check out www.arm.com and www.mips.com

swapgo said:
hi
Why cant dsPic frm microchip

I hope its also good.
It seems too expensive compared to ARM7 in my opinion.

ZeleC said:
so im searching for a general 16bit that has affordable development starter kits and that can support complex design.
Check out this cheap AT91SAM7S64 starter kit:
Evaluation board + IAR C-compiler + JTAG ICE for only €295
AT91SAM7S64-IAR, Evaluation kit:
http://www.mscbp.hu/download/ARM/SAM7S64_IAR_customer.pdf

If you want a cheap dev. board for the MSP430 or LPC2000 families, then try to check out this site:
http://www.olimex.com/dev/index.html

16bit uC

one think i noticed for msp430 that it doesnt support extended memory and the max memory is 60k flash and the lpcx series have this option ? ??
And what do you think guys of the infineon c167 16 bit microcontrollers im assuming that its a good performance uC especially that they are the heart of Siemens s7-300 PLCs?

ZeleC said:
one think i noticed for msp430 that it doesnt support extended memory and the max memory is 60k flash and the lpcx series have this option ? ??
And what do you think guys of the infineon c167 16 bit microcontrollers im assuming that its a good performance uC especially that they are the heart of Siemens s7-300 PLCs?
ARM7 has better performance than C16x.
Remember that ST makes an C16x compatible MCU called ST10.
ST also makes an ARM7 MCU called STR7.
http://www.stmcu.com/index.html
stdcpucores.jpg

Since Infenion is a Siemens company, it's only natural that they use their own MCU.
I think C16x/ST10 is very popular in industrial enviroments and for motor controls.

But remember, you should not only compare price/performance, but also what pheriphals is on board and maybe extended temperature ranges and EMC protection for harsh enviroments etc.
Some MCU has high-res. PWMs and otheres has no PWM or only low res. Some has high-res. ADC some as no ADC. Some diappates more power than others. So it all depends of what you are going to use it for.
There's a difference if you want to run embedded Linux or if you want to control a motor or something else. Some MCUs are good for one purpose, while other MCUs are better for other purposes. There is no such thing as the best MCU.

Nice talk but!

Can anyone put PRICES???

I want to use a STR7 variant named STA2051 but i must pay $40K for gps lib,
and USB is only for slave, not on-the-go, so sux, and i must buy a bundle of 100k pieces/year...

What company can do nice on developers?

For a task in view, an AT91SAM7S256 can almost do the job ...

Can anyone talk about prices/qtties ???

Sometimes price is more important then what ever else..

Thanx

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.