Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What to do when you start a new PCB layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arm_learner

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Beginner of PCB layout

Hi All,

When you start a new PCB layout, the first thing you do is place all the components right? or place some components and then do that part of layout?

Thanks

Beginner of PCB layout

no

If have a custom product, then it is better first look over the mechanical details before begining with.
if it is prototyping then no restriction you can do as per your convinence.

binu g

Re: Beginner of PCB layout

Hi,
Depending on your needs you can decide. But, first thing is to find the shape and area coverage of your board according to the needs. Then, you must place (preferably manually, not with autoplacer) the components that must be in spacific places, like connectors or power transistors who need heatsinks etc.
After this, you can deside if you can affort autoplacement of the rest of the components or place them manually again. Manual is always better.
There are programs that do not offer autoplacement.
Finally you draw the tracks. This can be done with the aid of autorouter or you can draw them manually of a mixture of both.
Personally I run the autorouter first, usually the results are not suttisfying my needs hence I make modifications in an autorouted board. If result is far away from what I expected then I reject and manually route everything.

Beginner of PCB layout

i think the first thing is place all the components right

EEHardware said:
i think the first thing is place all the components right

have a look at this.

Binu G

Beginner of PCB layout

Layout of a PCB is 90% placement and 10% routing.
The placement of components is the critical part.
Take your time placeing, then the routing is easy.

btbass said:
Layout of a PCB is 90% placement and 10% routing.

The ratio changes when in highspeed circuit designs.
can come to 50% placement and 50% routing

Binu G

Hi,
First you must specify the board dimension and its shape and plot a keep-out for it, the next step is placing components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back