Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the purpose of RF/DC choke ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acbalbason

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi guys,

i'm kinda a newbie in RF design. can anyone tell me what is the purpose of and RF/DC choke?

- al :)

Re: RF Choke Purpose

RF choke is used to block RF signal but DC current can pass. Generally speaking, a big inductor can act as RF choke.
DC block is used to block DC current but pass the RF signal. Generally speaking, a big capacitor can act as DC block.

acbalbason

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

What wireless man said is 100% correct. I think it's easier to think of it like this:

A big Inductor will look like an Open Circuit at High Frequencies (It Chokes the RF)
A Cap looks like a Short circuit as Freq goes higher.(Till it's self Resonance point)

Cheers

acbalbason

When you are a project leader, and you delegate an engineering task to some engineer and he completely blows it off, you can put the "RF Choke" on him until he promises to deliver!

acbalbason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back