Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sensitivity of RF receiver front-end

Neeraja123

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing RF receiver front-end at 2.4 GHz in cadence virtuoso using 180nm CMOS technology. How to measure SNR, Sensitivity and bit error rate can anyone please suggest me?

If you BER Meter, you can easily measure this Frontend. Sensitivity is a measure of Acceptable BER @ Signal Level.
For instance, you define BER as 1.10^-3 then you decrease the Signal Level and when BER reaches/drop down to this level, this will be the Sensitivity at the same time. SNR is also measured with a Modern Spectrum Analyzers.
Besides this, EVM/Constellation Measurement gives also a figure of Sensitivity with Modern Spectrum Analyzers with Digital Demodulating Feature.

With AGC log curve you digitize RSSI levels to get carrier CNR and demodulated SNR. These are standard tools in all WiFi receivers not used by Windows but used by special apps. Since SNR vs BER changes with modem data rate, I recall for 11 Mbps -80 dBm would be marginally error-free in the short term (10 min to 1 hr) and -74 dBm long term all day. Normally you get X dB/ decade in BER, unless you have Ricean Fading errors. at low levels. Higher bit rates demand higher SNR according to laws of Signal Theory. Most low level errors are caused by Ricean Fading and not random noise. To determine this threshold, one might need a Faraday cage to prevent these echoes named after Dr. Rice using an RF attenuator and sig. gen.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back