Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the most popular ucontroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
51 is the most popular, many companies such as INTEL, ATMEL, PHILIPS etc. have the products.

In my country (SLOVENIA) most popular uC's in home electronics would be Microchip PIC (16f84), Atmel x51 (89cxx51) and Atmel AVR (90sxxxx). That naturaly does not stand for industrial use.

depends of the use. I you need a quick and dirty circuit with a uc in 5mn, then I think the PIC is the most common. Few external parts (osc+2 capa) and it works. Scenix if you need more power. Or Atmel. Then all the "high-end" uc, like z80, 8051, 68hc11, etc...

hmm,

good question for me:

avr's> great small things but expensive
pic's> i use when make small projects really low power consumption
x51> i like in bigger projects there simple to programm an you will get many versions

greetings
mc_eddy

In Canada:

1. Motorola: HC08, HC11, ...
2. Microchip: F84, F877 ...
3. ATMEL: X51, X52, X55, 90SXX...

Realy this is the situation on the market...

regards, Assen

In my country (Spain) there's a big fight betweet 80x51 uC and PIC. Lately price concerts, tend to increase user of PIC uC (also new apps like hw pay TV decramblers).

Best regards

Hi all,
I have tested several U controller like DS5000 (8051 core), Pic 16f877 and Siemens 16 bits C167 and I prefer the PIC 16f877 for easy use in C and for the powerfull tools...
and facilities
Not easy to make a choice...

Hi,

I will tell you what I've known from a good source.

Last year the the #1 8 bit uC seller was Hitachi followed by Microchip. This it doesn't mean they are the most popular.

In my country MCS-51 was the most popular, but now PIC's are used in everything.
I agree, almost every serial mouse had a PIC, is not label it but you can verify the layout (PIC16C54 or similar).

Just my Opinion.

Hi,

Have a look to the Programming forum on the topic "8051 vs PIC".
There are lots of ideas to make a choice.

In Turkey,
8051 was the first but nowadays PICs espacially F84 and F877 is the first because their variety and suppliement and cost.
but AVR is coming to be famous.

For hobby stuff i think pic is great, because you can find tonnes of easy to build circuits with them.

I like MCU architectures in the folowing priority

1.>8051 based
2.>AVR
3.>PIC
4.>68hc
5.> MSPs 430series from TI
6.> st MCUs
7.>COP from national semi
8.> Z8 mcu from zilog

-hynix

most poular CPU?

Today, 8051 architecture is one the most popular CPU. In fact, therr are a lot of software ready to run on it, as RTOS, TCP/IP or C compiler. ALso it is easier find application notes and cores to include on FPGA design. Moreover, many SOC chose the 8051 as CPU core.

8051 has books you know which you can hold in your hands and read specialy three and more authors have written about it , but others have not this feature.you know there is 8051 books completely for beginners which takes you to a good levels but data sheets always need a lot of basic knowledge.

Report: Microchip passes Motorola in 8-bit totals:
http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2003/07/07/daily4.html

Microchip Technology Jumps to Number One in Worldwide 8-bit Microcontroller Shipments:
**broken link removed**

8 August 2003: 2002 Microprocessor Market Share and Unit Shipments
**broken link removed**
Does anyone have this document or password and username to download it?
The price for this document must be wrong: $ 9,995.00 !!!
I'm sure nobody want's to pay that much for this document.

The recent 16-bit Microcontroller with DSP capabilities is from jointly from Intel and Analog Devices is ( BLACKFIN DSP) viz. ADSP-BF535, ADSP-BF533.

In my opinion the usage of a particular uC should determine how popular the 8-bit uC is. It is a fact that the industrial market for 8051 based uCs is still the largest at the moment. Therefore Microchip PICs, although popular and the cheapest to date will always be a second player in the world of uC, at least until mixed signal PSOCs uCs take over the microcontoller market.

By the way my mouse uses a TI uC!

Status
Not open for further replies.