Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the meaning of this VHDL statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juansiahaan

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the meaning of a VHDL line like this :

Code VHDL - [expand]
if (signal = '1' and signalx = '0') then

and what is the difference when the values above are interchanged? (signal is 0 and signalx is 1)? I've seen some codes using that line but I haven't gotten the idea of that line...could someone explain me?

Thanks and regards,

Juan

Strange question. That line means that if signal=1 and signalx=0 then the following lines will be executed.

Maybe it is a part of edge detection. with the code below you can detect edges on 'signal'.

if (rising_edge(clock)) then
signalx <= signal; -- signalx is delayed (1clock period)
if (signal='1' and signalx='0') then -- rising_edge
elsif (signal='0' and signalx='1') then -- falling_edge
end if;
end if;

Maybe it is a part of edge detection. with the code below you can detect edges on 'signal'.

if (rising_edge(clock)) then
signalx <= signal; -- signalx is delayed (1clock period)
if (signal='1' and signalx='0') then -- rising_edge
elsif (signal='0' and signalx='1') then -- falling_edge
end if;
end if;

Yes that's what I mean...but is it the same when I use rising_edge (signal) or falling_edge (signal)?

I guess there can only be one rising_edge or falling_edge in a process...isn't it? Does that imply that if I want to detect a rising or a falling edge of another signal I can use that syntax if a rising_edge syntax has been previously used (such as rising_edge (CLK))?

Last edited:

This only works if the signal you're sampling is at no more than half the frequency of your clock. Look at it this way: whether you are using rising_edge or falling_edge, you are taking a sample of the state of your input signal and comparing it to the state of the signal on the previous clock.

The rising/falling edge function is for detecting falling edges on signals in VHDL - eg. detecting clock edges. They are NOT synthesisable other than for clocks.
To detect rising and falling edges of a signal in a synchronous environment, you need to register the source signal (like with signalx) and check the delayed and non-delayed version on a clock edge. You cannot use the rising edge function for this, because these functions can only check 1 signal, not two.

Status
Not open for further replies.