Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the difference between mixer and multiplier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hjsh0204

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Mixer or Multiplier?

hello, friends~~

does any body know what is the difference between mixer and multiplier?

when i do the simulation for mixer, normally i use harmonic balance simulation tool. what is the normal simulation method for multiplier?

in my case, i just need a square function block to simply multiply the 2 inputs togeter with a unity gain. Any suggestion for that?

Thanx so much, guys!:D

Mixer or Multiplier?

Well, a mixer and multiplier are of same type of architecture. The function realized by a multiplier and the mixer are the same.

So, you must be using Spectre for simulation which is fine. Usually people use single quadrant gilbert cell type.

hjsh0204

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Mixer or Multiplier?

thank you vamsi.

from my understanding, all the mos of the multipliers are in linear or saturation region. however, some of the mos of mixer acts like switches. this is the difference from the operation's point of view.

but for the final functionality,i didn't see much difference as well.

Mixer or Multiplier?

Of course, the circuit as a mixer will act as a switch and the multipliers act in saturation region. Since there are no equations to govern the non-linear response, the modelling will be done similarly for a multiplier and a mixer

Status
Not open for further replies.