Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] What is the difference between HV SOI and HV CMOS process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rissenaj

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am doing a high voltage driver design and I have come across several designs some of which are implemented in HV-SOI and some in HV-CMOS. Could someone please tell me what is the difference between both and when each is used. Thanks in advance.

Regards
rissenaj

HV-CMOS usually needs larger-sized transistors than HV-SOI, and - depending on the HV value - sometimes additional guard rings, which need a lot of area.

So HV-SOI designs need less area, produce smaller parasitic capacitances, hence can be used up to higher frequencies.

SOI is more expensive than bulk CMOS.

HV-CMOS usually needs larger-sized transistors than HV-SOI, and - depending on the HV value - sometimes additional guard rings, which need a lot of area.

So HV-SOI designs need less area, produce smaller parasitic capacitances, hence can be used up to higher frequencies.

SOI is more expensive than bulk CMOS.

Thanks for the response. Is the IBM 7HV process [ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/common/ssi/ecm/en/tgd03019usen/TGD03019USEN.PDF] a HV-CMOS process? Could you please give an example of an HV-SOI fabrication process.

Thanks
rissenaj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back