Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is Buck Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbhupendra

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
buck convertor

in LDO i have seen LDO with Buck Converter. what is Buck Converter ?

basics of buck converter

Hi
Buck converter converts high voltage to low desired voltage.
regards

what is buck converter

Buck converter is used the reduce a DC voltage to a lower DC voltage. you can have more detail in attched file

buck converter how stuff works

Well LDO is a linear regulator, while Buck or better Step-down is a switch mode power supply where you can get a output regulated voltage that is lower than the input voltage.
Vin > Vout and Vout regulated DC

for a better description visit texas instrument

"Understanding buck . . . . ."

what is buck?

So is it possible to have buck converter on chip !

suppose we use TSMC 0.18u process in which 3.3V is max voltage for MOS. But we have input voltage specification from 2.9V to 5.1V. Then is it possible in 0.18u to have buck converter on chip. If so how as max voltage in 0.18 is 3.3V ?

high voltage devices for ldo output in 0.18um

hi
we can reduce voltage in different way. such as resistors and ...

buck converter vs ldo

hr_rezaee
resistors are onchip or external discrete resistors ?

what is buck

vbhupendra,
If 0.18 supports only 3.3 V then you cant go for that. In most of the cases, in power management chips, you will use process which supports high voltages.
In case of DC-DC converters (Buck or Boost) resistors and capacitors will be external components. IC will have only switch and other parts like PWM controller.
You can visit National or TI website for some good material on DC-DC converters.

Regards,
vhegde

fairchild+0.18um

Someone can tell the relevant articles materials or website of digital power management??

Thanks in advance
Best regards,jinsin

buck regulator how stuff works

vbhupendra said:
in LDO i have seen LDO with Buck Converter. what is Buck Converter ?

Hi, could you show me some materials about the combination of LDO and switching power supply?

as i know, LDO has low noise and better output voltage ripple.
switching power supply has better efficiency.

so the combination of the above two regulator will give a better performance.

understanding buck

Check this link OUT:

**broken link removed**
Amazing stuff

It is basically am DC to DC down converter.

Cheers

buck converter max power

BUCK convertor is basically a subclass of smps. here the output voltage is duty-cycle times the input volyage in continous ocnduction mode.u can find more details in Ericksons book on power electronics.

what the buck is used for

Hi!
About the buck converter,you can reference

"Understanding Buck Power Stage in Switchmode power supplies"
www.ti.com

Added after 23 seconds:

Hi!
About the buck converter,you can reference

"Understanding Buck Power Stage in Switchmode power supplies"
www.ti.com

what is buck?

hi
fairchild semiconductor have some products in smps they iclude controler and a power mosfet you can see it in https://www.fairchildsemi.com and search for FPS[/url]

basics of buck

SiamMcu
,what about the speech" THX "?

Bhupendra,

If you need to support 5.1V of input voltge, then you can have the power train outside the chip. I am sure that the reliability of the 3.3V devices is pretty low for a VDD of over 5V. In case of the power MOSFETs and all the switching, your converter will be dead in a week.

So, there are two choices :

1. Find out if you can get some High voltage devices in the process - I do not think that the plain vanilla 0.18um process has them

2. Design the compensator, comparator, PWM Controller, Dead time control, driver buffers are on-chip. The power devices, Inductor and the capacitor will be off-chip.

Intersil, Maxim have some examples on these.

Status
Not open for further replies.