Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is better, KDE or GNOME for EDA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blilix

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
kde eda

I install ic5033 and m@tlab 7 on my SUSE 10 with KDE Desktop. Sometimes, I got the problems like the m@tlab shuts down automatically while I am working on it. I also had a problem with pop-up menu on ic5033. Does KDE matter?

Moreover, I want to know about SUSE Enterprise version. Is it better than opensource version?

KDE or GNOME for EDA?

I use GNOME and didn't have your matter. Enterprise version is a better one.

KDE or GNOME for EDA?

i prefer GNOME, there are alse a lot of people like KDE, choose whatever you like

Re: KDE or GNOME for EDA?

I use edaboard on GNOME but there are problems with logging on, when I log on I get an sql error

It shouldn't really matter. By the way, both Gnome and KDE don't really have a browser as mature as Firefox so you're probably best off using firefox under both environments. Regarding the SQL error, the sql statements / commands are executed on the server, so it has nothing to do with your Gnome or KDE configuration.

I use KDE for EDA.

But your computer is so poor with the momory department you better use some simple GUI like WindowMaker.

mehboob_iiui said:
I use edaboard on GNOME but there are problems with logging on, when I log on I get an sql error

I use Gnome, and no errors at all with edaboard, may be browser issue, check for browser updates..

Regards,
Ahmad,

KDE or GNOME for EDA?

I use GNOME on RHEL 4 and it works well.

KDE or GNOME for EDA?

The desktop has nothing to do with EDA tools. Even you pick the lightweighted xface4 as you dm the tools should still work as well.

I have noticed myself, atleast with GNOME, that some screens/menus in IC5033 need the full screen res without top or bottom borders. But when using CDE (solaris), since there is no boarders, the menus display perfectly. I assume they were originally intended for CDE. As for KDE, I haven't used it, but if it has a floating control window like CDE, then KDE would be more appropriate.

jelydonut

KDE or GNOME for EDA?

Where can I find matlab 7.0 for Linux?

I also use SuSE 10.0 Linux with KDE.
I have installed IC5033 and have no problems with it.
I think that problem is in some of your environment settings.
I've a time when I had problems with selecting pathes in dialogs, but I've solved this problem. The problem was in my LANG variable. (I also use Russian language in my system so all I've had to do is set LANG=C before useing cadence)

Status
Not open for further replies.