Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a model pin or mpin in magma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb_cancer

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
mpins

What is a model pin or mpin in magma? Is it a physical pin that can be seen in GUI? How didficult is it from the actual pin definitions in magma?

Re: Mpins in Magma

Hi,

mpin is the pin of your design top module and during physical synthesis you can see the pin in layout.

It may help you.

Thanks..

HAK..

Hi HAK..

Thanks for the Info... but can your elaborate what it means by "pin of your design top module" is it the pin definition in the Netlist{hence not visible physically}. Am I correct in the understanding that physical synthesis means "actual gate level implementaion"

Regards,
Hari

Hi,

While doing floorplanning (design planning) after logic synthesis and timing optimization (fix netlist and fix time) in Magma, u will create a floorplan and if you have any constraints for your model pin location then you can use or use the default pin placement command of magma. so during execution it will show a msg that on which layer your model pins are placed as a physical geometry and then you can see them in GUI.

Hope it will help you.

Thanks..

HAK..

hb_cancer

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Hi Hak..

Thanks again, but what kind of constraints do we generally give to Model Pin{ie Pins of Macro/Standard Cell, please correct my understanding!} in Magma, I have not come across this. Infact we just use the Macro/Standard cell as it is no constraining by our side (knowingly).

any constraints for your model pin location then you can use or use the default pin placement command of magma

Thanks & Regards,
Hari[/i]

Hi,

Model pins are your design top module pins not macro pins or stdcell pins, as you cant change or apply any constraints to the pin placement for hard macros or stdcell. Design top module is the main module in netlist (i.e. in magma /work/top/top -- so top is your main module) and for the pins of this main module you can define constraints for placement.
In magma there is one command "force plan pin" which you can use for defining pin layer, pin width, height, side etc..and so during "run plan create pin" command will honour these constraints for pin placement. Pls refer the manpages for these commands.

Hope this will clear your doubt.

Thanks..

HAK..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back