Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does loop error mean when synthetizing with Design Compiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Can someone explain me what means loop error while synthetizing with design compiler. Who can explain the phenomenon ?

Thanks in advance !

Re: loop in Design

A async feedback is a loop, which design compiler will complain upon.
In very simple terms if you short an output of a gate such as an AND gate, OR gate or any other combi logic gate to its input, it will become an async loop.
In more general terms, if you feed back an ouput of a combinational gate(not register or latch) to the input of another combinational gate(not register or latch), without a sequential element(a register) in the path, it becomes a loop which will cause a loop error.
Kr,
Avi
http://www.vlsiip.com

loop in Design

Thanks Sir,
In some cases this loops are desirable for exemple when designing asynchronous circuits, take the exemple of an huffman gate. What happen if i ignore loops, generate netlist and make my ICs ?
Will the ICs be functionnal ?

Thanks again !

Re: loop in Design

I dont know of any condition where loops may be desireable. And if you make an IC with async loops it will NOT work
Kr,
Avi

loop in Design

That's fine, Thanks a lot.
Cheers,
Master_PicEngineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back