Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What do the Pin Directions actually mean and how to use them

Status
Not open for further replies.

external_reset

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In designing one's own part in Eagle CAD, the pins can be given a Direction (such as PWR, SUP, PAS, IN, OUT, IO, etc.). I'm having problems with the power and/or supply pins -- getting ERC errors/warnings such as:

SUPPLY pin OUT overwritten with VDD

I created a Voltage Regulator part (i.e. 78L05) with pins that I called IN, OUT & GND and I created an IC part with power and ground pins that I called VDD and VSS, respectively.

There seems to be contention between the Voltage Regulator OUT and GND pins and the VDD and VSS pins I hook them too. I've tried different combination's of direction on each of the parts (such as PWR for the voltage regulator OUT and GND pins, and SUP for the VDD and VSS pins) and no combination I have tried so far results in an error/warning free ERC.

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks

What do the Pin Directions actually mean and to use them

The rather crude 'direction' definition of a pin's function will never be error free. With a regulator you best chance is by making the output a 'PWR' pin but even then the names probably won't match - it will be a power pin called OUT connected to VDD or +5V. In the end you have to just review the errors and warnings and make sure there aren't any real ones. I frequently have small inductors in IC power leads so I get loads of warnings that my IC VDD is connected to N$27 etc.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back