Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What can cause large increase of rise-time effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lixnig

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, Everyone.

I am troubleshooting a problem with a carrier board with a controller on-board. There are two revisions of this carrier board with two different controllers due to the original controller being discontinued and replaced with a new mostly identical controller. I have confirmed with their engineers that the controllers' are identical in timing specs.

When I plug the new revision board into the main board, I receive no output. I have tracked the problem down to a control signal having a very long rise-time compared to the original board. So, I setup a makeshift test of the carrier board using a devkit I had lying around. Using this setup, the rise-time is what I would expect it to be, so I have concluded that the timing is in agreement with the specs. The time to output of the old revision is ~65ns. The new revision is over 220ns.

So, my question is, what could cause such a large difference? My initial reaction is that the RC characteristics of the new revision board are causing this, but I'm really more of a digital/software engineer than an analog guy, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Lixnig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back