Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the capabilities of step up converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arshad0311

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
why cant we have a small input and an output much more than the rated value for output voltage? for example if we have an input of 5v what is the reason we cant get an output of 100V?

Re: step up converter

Hi,

I am a very forgetful person, though it was only a short time since i finished my project, if you mean boost converter ( step up converter ), theoretically, you can achieve an infinite output from the boost converter. Practically, it doesn't happen since there are losses in many parts of the converter, for example the inductor copper loss. If you look at fundamentals of power electronics and look up the chapter on losses, there will be a part which describes all the losses. by referring to the book, the output of a boost converter by considering inductor copper loss is no longer

Vo=Vin/(1-d) but it is something else.

another thing is, which comes before the above is ( just remembered ) that according to some law, Output power cannot be greater than Input power.

Hope i am not wrong and it helps.

step up converter

About arshad0311, this already happends.
The flash of the cameras operates from voltages like 3 V, and you can get voltages like 100V. It is a variation of flyback topology.

regards

Because a inductor's current can't change instantly.

we can use this characteristic to output voltage high than input.

best regards

arshad0311 said:
why cant we have a small input and an output much more than the rated value for output voltage? for example if we have an input of 5v what is the reason we cant get an output of 100V?

You can use buck switching regulator .

Just keep in mind that the higher voltage u switch to the lower the current you can get out of it. Power is ALWAYS conserved.

guys, i got one project, i need generate 1.5v to 3.3v, that mean i need to build a dc dc converter, i use the boost step up circuit, but i don't know what should I connect to the base of NPN transistor. Anyone can help me?

To arshad0311,

Where do you put this 5V source? If you supply a flashlight it will only produce light but if you supply a switching regulator(boost/stepup mode) or a stepup transformer with 5V pulses on primary or even a capacitor-diode "ladder" circuit you can have an output of higher voltage than the input.

To skyxis,
guys, i got one project, i need generate 1.5v to 3.3v, that mean i need to build a dc dc converter, i use the boost step up circuit, but i don't know what should I connect to the base of NPN transistor. Anyone can help me?

You haven'd define your power and input - output voltage requirements. You want 3.3V from a 1.5V source or what? How many amperes?

Regards
P.

step up converter

My purpose is to trigger a 3.3V piezo buzzer. But I only need use one AA battery to on it. The ampere should very low, we can ignore it.

My Power In is 1.5V
Output Voltage should be 3.3V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back