Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the applications of CMOS and BiCMOS devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadegh.j

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Why CMOS?
Why BiCMOS?

bicmos for speed

CMOS is very low power device

for more concern any book related to the basic electronics devices

why cmos

CMOS for low power. BiCMOS for speed.

why cmos

CMOS low power(no static), low area, BiCMOS is better for using BJT in analog and CMOS in digital

cmos cutoff frequency

FOR CMOS. it concerns about the speed which is about the edge of fall time. CMOS is cheaper and small area for IC chip.
For BiCOMS, it boostes the gain of the Op Amp,which is good for analog design. It all depends on project's requirement and your engineering judgement.

Re: Why CMOS

The main answer is money. CMOS transistors are almost free. And CMOS process in nano meter area is quite matured. So its very cheap to fabricate a pure CMOS chip, whereas BiCMOS cost money. So main focus is every function (either digital or analog) on CMOS. BiCMOS is used where there is extreme need of speed which is impossible to get from pure CMOS.
I hope this will help you see technology from industry point of view which is governed by money.

To get a more general overview, look up CMOS in Wikipedia.com, it's pretty helpful.

CMOS is for high density, low-cost,
BiCMOS for performance and all advantage of CMOS with more cost
as more mask needed.

What're the difference between BiCMOS and SIGE? Are they identical?

Mesfet+

CMOS -- low power, low cost, less area, speed slower than BJT
BJT --- high power, high cost, more area, but faster speed than CMOS
so, when we need high speed with low power, and low cost. Then we go for BICMOS = cobination of both CMOS and BJT

Why CMOS

I think the need for single chip SOC is also a reason. integrate digital and analog into a single chip is very easy for CMOS.

CMOS is matured for a lot of high volume consumer applications. However, for specific cases (high speed com, very precise structures/references etc) you will need BiCMOS (SiGe, GaAs, and Si)

Hi.CMOS is low power but cut-off frequency is low
but bipolar has high cut-off frequency about 45GHz and it is usefull for microwave applications

Why CMOS

I wish we got to CMOS devices in my electronic classes :(

ali12345 said:
Hi.CMOS is low power but cut-off frequency is low
but bipolar has high cut-off frequency about 45GHz and it is usefull for microwave applications

I beg to differ. For bipolar they already have transistors with cut-off frequency over 150GHz. However this is SiGe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back