Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are some strategies for efficient single side PCB route

Status
Not open for further replies.

david90

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What are some rules/strategies that I should follow so that I can minimize the number of wire jumpers on my PCB?

I often find myself routing a signal that it blocks out other signals or find myself in a situation where I can't route a power/gnd trace to an IC because a trace closed it off.

Does PCB route planning start at the schematic stage?

I'm a total newbie btw.

Taking placement/routing into consideration should be done at the schematic stage & often the schematic is looked at during placement/routing to see if the circuit can be re-arranged to enable problems routing to be solved.

For instance, inputs/outputs on chips can often be swapped around to aid routing, moving components (r/c/l etc) to the other side of each other may help yet still keep the circuit function the same.

If you have problems routing the power, you should be routing the power/ground to the IC's etc before anything else.

Sometimes there is no choice but to use jumpers to enable a short/direct track. Going the long way around just to save using a jumper can mean that your track is more receptive to EMI etc.

It will all come with experience/practise & when you have laid a section out, have another look at it & think "how can I do that better" rather than thinking "oh good that bits done now, I dont have to touch it again" :D

Re: What are some strategies for efficient single side PCB r

It is difficult for anyone to route only in a single side. To minimize the number if cannot be eliminated is a proper placement and routing. Place components as seen in the schematic, place one module at a time, see if theres a problem that will arise when routing starts..

Just always bear in mind consideration need to be considered in each application of your design.

Hi David,

This kind of PCBs are always difficult to route..In these type of card ,placement is very important.At time of placement ,u have to see the way of routing or parallely u can do the routing..
We have done the routing of 800 connections in single side with around 70 jumpers.

Regards

Re: What are some strategies for efficient single side PCB r

For Single side PCB routing, you need to concentrate more on component placement. For example, the de-caps are should be as close as to the corresponding pins. It reduces the unwanted trace length and the space...
And need to take care of the trace delivery point of the pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back