Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Were to start FPGA PLD etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLY_PT

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm really new about FPGA design, I would like to have a good advice were to star, devices, tools, information.

I appreciate any help.

Hello FLY_PT,

Welcome to the PLD (programmable logic device) community. The easiest way to start with this topic is to buy a DK (development kit) for examples from Altera (www.altera.com) or Xilinx (www.xilinx.com). After this take a good book (for example FPGA Cookbook) and start with some very small applications.

What will be your end applications? How much money do you want to spend? What’s your current knowledge?

Bye,
cube007

FLY_PT

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
A good first thing you can do is download the free ISE web pack from xilinx.com which includes the xilinx implementation tool and the modelsim simulator. Then get hold of a vhdl or verilog book and start coding and simulating till you get the hang of digital design and then you can probably invest in some FPGA development kit for the real thing.

cheers.

FLY_PT

You can search in google with these key: "CPLD tutorial"; " FPGA tutorial" and "VHDL tutorial"........
You can have some infomation about VHDL, FPGA, CPLD in this web: www.e3g.com or www.soccentral.com

FLY_PT

Thanks to all of you,

I have a VHDL cookbook, I visited XIlinx, Atmel, Actel, and altera websites, I'm trying to download the ISE that masai_mara recomended.

Cube_007, regarding your questions, I have no specific application this moment, but I think there is going to be quite a few in a near future. I think I can replace some tasks actually performed by a MCU.
About my current knowledge, I know about electronics, but I have never worked with a PLD or FPGA in the past, I don't even know what is VHDL (I know by now is a kind of programing lenguange, correct me if I'm wrong) or verilog. and finally I really don't know how much to spend since I have just started to dig for some information about development kits.

Based in your experiences Guys wich company would you recomend ?? Altera, Xilinx, Actel ??

Thanks a lot for all the help posted

FLY_PT

Hi Fly_PT,
Xilinx tools r more than enough for u to start off.
i believe, Xilinx is the best guy for "Support" on the web
As of now, that is what u need more.

cheers!!!
Renv

Hi

you could also have a look at Altium. They have a complete design-tool for Altera or Xilinx FPGAs/CPLDs. I have actually bought the live design kit (Xilinx version €99)

hxxp://www.altium.com/livedesign/

Contains a high performance FPGA (XC3S400-4FG456) many peripheral components and several example projects. The thing seems to be well documented as seen so far.

greetings from Germany

try a small project by yourself.,find problem,and solve it.

VHDL : CPLD design books comes wiith a simulator and sotware which can be used to do smll circuits

Thanks a lot,

I have more options by now I will buy a DK and any question I will be asking again.

Regards

FLY_PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back