Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

weller ec2100m grounding question

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have a weller ec2100m soldering station purchased as a second hand item.
The enclosure states "ESD safe" and "Warning this station must be earthed". But there is no connection from the station ground to the mains plug ground. The cable that goes to the mains plug has only 2 wires, no ground connection.

Shall I assume that the previous owner has changed the original mains cable?
Shall I change this cable to include the mains ground?

The station has a front banana plug for earthing. I have seen that all circuit earths are connected to this plug. Is is there for the wrist save bracelet or is it there to connect this with a separate cable to the mains earth?

I am a bit confused of how to earth the station.
Help?

Attachments

• 57.JPG
    57.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 189

The soldering station is grounded through the power connector. The banana connector is used to connect the ground of station and the ground unit to be repaired.

The soldering station is grounded through the power connector. The banana connector is used to connect the ground of station and the ground unit to be repaired.

Ok so I must indeed change the power cable to include a connection from the station GND to the mains plud ground, is that right?

Typically, the power cord is earthed.
European_Power_Cable_IEC_Angled_European_power_cable.jpg

In principle, no difference in potential between the soldering iron and board rescues parts from damage and can be considered as a special case of grounding.

I hear speculation in this thread if the device had originally a PE connection or not. I presume the question can be answered by looking at
1. the user manual
2. the backside of the device

I know that a number of older Weller solder stations have been shipped with two-wire cable, e.g. most Magnastat types. The newer electronic controlled ones have a 3-pole CE instrument connector, at least on European market.

I hear speculation in this thread if the device had originally a PE connection or not. I presume the question can be answered by looking at
1. the user manual
2. the backside of the device

I know that a number of older Weller solder stations have been shipped with two-wire cable, e.g. most Magnastat types. The newer electronic controlled ones have a 3-pole CE instrument connector, at least on European market.

If I had the user manual I would not ask really. Weller has not yet replied.
The backside of the device has a single circular hole in the plastic that is well wide to support the 3 wires (2 and gnd) circular cable. However now, only a 2 wires, thinner cable comes out from that hole. It does not appear to me that this hole was designed for this cable.
If I had a back photo of the original station I would not bother.

Show the back photo of the station, please.

Items might be second-hand because they gave the previous owner problems.

There are electrical items (example, wrist straps) that have the advice, "Connect grounding screw to earth, by means of a wire to a radiator, metal plumbing, etc." However with plastic pipes in wide use, we cannot be sure if there is a conductive path to earth.

So the previous owner may have had trouble with the unit. Maybe it did not dispel static charge like it should, or perhaps he got a shock from soldering an appliance which was inadvertently plugged into mains.

Perhaps the previous owner replaced the power cord, so the unit would be compatible with receptacles in his home.
Etc.

Does the unit have a grounding screw at the back?

I think the question can be answered by this drawing from the WECP20 user manual. This solder station is also equipped with a two-wire power cable. I guess it's the same with ec2100.

Does the unit have a grounding screw at the back?

No it does not. the only thing that comes out of the back is the power cord, which is much thinner than the hole in the enclosure is. The hole in the enclosure is just about the right diameter to fit well a thick round 3-wire mains cord.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the question can be answered by this drawing from the WECP20 user manual. This solder station is also equipped with a two-wire power cable. I guess it's the same with ec2100.

Allright, so it seems the station must be externally grounded and the mains cable was not previously changed. This has been a very helpful diagram, thank you!
This is a well designed grounding scheme, although too extreme for this station I believe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back