Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Verilog arithmetic shift weird behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarcelold

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Pleas some one can explain me why in the below code, x0_eq is not equal to x1_eq?

`timescale 10ns/1ns
module test;
reg signed [8:0] x0, x1, x0_shifted, x0_eq, x1_eq;
initial begin
x0 = -27;
x0_shifted = x0 >>> 3;
x0_eq = x0_shifted + x0[2];

x1 = -27;
x1_eq = (x1 >>> 3) + x1[2];
#10;
$finish;
end
endmodule

Actually, in first case three times right shift of -27 is calculated which is -4(9'b000111100) and is stored in register of signed type, so it is stored as -4. Then it is added with x0[2] (which is 1) and becomes -3.

But in second case, after the calculation of three right shifts of -27, result is not stored in signed format but it is used in another operation directly so it is used as unsigned decimal(-4 in unsigned decimal is 60), after adding x1[2] it becomes 61. All things are clear except why 61 is not stored in signed format in x1_eq.

Cheers,
Akhil Kumar

Akhil,
I think I understood what is happen. The operation a>>>b not only do an arithmetic shift, but it also re-size the variable (I did not know that). This is the reason why -27>>3 is treated as 6'b111100 instead of 9'b111111100, which is what I was expecting. Then, because x1[2] is unsigned, the "+" operation is unsigned, and the result is extended to match the 9 bits as an unsigned value.

Regards

Jose Marcelo L. Duarte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back