Not open for further replies.

carbon9

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm trying to simulate a simple capacitor module written in Verilog-A as follows:

Code:
`include "disciplines.vams"
`include "constants.vams"

module capacitor_model(p,n);
real q=1.609E-19;
real L=300E-9;
  inout p,n;
  electrical p,n;
  analog begin
  I(p,n) <+ (2E9*q*L) * ddt(V(p,n));
//  I(p,n) <+ (9.654E-17) * ddt(V(p,n)); 
  end
endmodule

The capacitor has a value calculated with 2E9*q*L. When I use the commented line, i.e. "I(p,n) <+ (9.654E-17) * ddt(V(p,n));", the module acts correctly as a capacitor of that value. However, when I try to make Verilog-A to make the capacitance calculation as 2E9*q*L as the uncommented line "I(p,n) <+ (2E9*q*L) * ddt(V(p,n));", the component does not act as a a capacitor. I think the multiplication 2E9*q*L has error. How can I correct this?

Very thanks,

Regards,

i used this code in a sample r,c circuit and both lines works same ..
which tools are u using ?

Thank. I use Tanner T-SPICE. In which software does it work ok? I'll use that software. Regards

I am using hspice for verilog-a simulatiosn , u can try that.

If that works u can probably compain against tanner

Thanks. Yes, I'll complain against Tanner

Regards

Hello again,

I'm using this circuit to simulate a simple RC circuit to see if Verilog-A model is Ok, in HSPICE.

Code:
//Title: Simple RC
.hdl capacitor_model.va
R1 1 2 7591
X4 2 0 capacitor_model
VS 1 0 PULSE(0 1 1E-18 1E-18 1E-18 1 1)
.tran 1E-15 1E-11
.op
.probe
.end

The capacitor model is the model I posted in first post. When I use the line which assigns the value of the capacitor numerically, the delay can be seen. But when I use the line "I(p,n) <+ (2E9*q*L) * ddt(V(p,n));" Verilog-A complier does not give error but the output of the RC circuit does not have any delay. As I understand from zero delay, the capacitor built by the capacitor_model.va model seems to have zero value to HSPICE. Can you please advise something?

Very thanks

Added after 13 minutes:

Hello,

The same problem is in the resistor module in the following:

Code:
// m

`include "disciplines.vams"

module resistor_model(p,n);
real L=300E-9;
real q=1.609E-19;
real h=6.62E-34;
real Lmeanlow=1600E-9;
real Eph=0.2*1.609E-19;
real R0=(h/(4*q*q))*(1+(L/Lmeanlow));
real b=(h/(4*q*Eph));
inout p, n;
electrical p, n;
analog begin
        I(p,n) <+ V(p,n)/((h/(4*q*q))*(1+(L/Lmeanlow))+3.1964E4*V(p,n));
          end
endmodule

When I use this resistor as connected to a voltage source, the current is calculated as indefinite by SPICE. But when I use this line:

Code:
I(p,n) <+ V(p,n)/(7591+3.1964E4*V(p,n));

the current is sucessfully calculated. Why does the mathematical expressions give error when I use inside Verilog-A modules?

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…