Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Verilog-A simple capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbon9

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm trying to simulate a simple capacitor module written in Verilog-A as follows:

Code:
`include "disciplines.vams"
`include "constants.vams"

module capacitor_model(p,n);
real q=1.609E-19;
real L=300E-9;
  inout p,n;
  electrical p,n;
  analog begin
  I(p,n) <+ (2E9*q*L) * ddt(V(p,n));
//  I(p,n) <+ (9.654E-17) * ddt(V(p,n)); 
  end
endmodule

The capacitor has a value calculated with 2E9*q*L. When I use the commented line, i.e. "I(p,n) <+ (9.654E-17) * ddt(V(p,n));", the module acts correctly as a capacitor of that value. However, when I try to make Verilog-A to make the capacitance calculation as 2E9*q*L as the uncommented line "I(p,n) <+ (2E9*q*L) * ddt(V(p,n));", the component does not act as a a capacitor. I think the multiplication 2E9*q*L has error. How can I correct this?

Very thanks,

Regards,

i used this code in a sample r,c circuit and both lines works same ..
which tools are u using ?

Thank. I use Tanner T-SPICE. In which software does it work ok? I'll use that software. Regards

I am using hspice for verilog-a simulatiosn , u can try that.

If that works u can probably compain against tanner ;)

Thanks. Yes, I'll complain against Tanner :)

Regards

Hello again,

I'm using this circuit to simulate a simple RC circuit to see if Verilog-A model is Ok, in HSPICE.

Code:
//Title: Simple RC
.hdl capacitor_model.va
R1 1 2 7591
X4 2 0 capacitor_model
VS 1 0 PULSE(0 1 1E-18 1E-18 1E-18 1 1)
.tran 1E-15 1E-11
.op
.probe
.end

The capacitor model is the model I posted in first post. When I use the line which assigns the value of the capacitor numerically, the delay can be seen. But when I use the line "I(p,n) <+ (2E9*q*L) * ddt(V(p,n));" Verilog-A complier does not give error but the output of the RC circuit does not have any delay. As I understand from zero delay, the capacitor built by the capacitor_model.va model seems to have zero value to HSPICE. Can you please advise something?

Very thanks

Added after 13 minutes:

Hello,

The same problem is in the resistor module in the following:

Code:
// m

`include "disciplines.vams"

module resistor_model(p,n);
real L=300E-9;
real q=1.609E-19;
real h=6.62E-34;
real Lmeanlow=1600E-9;
real Eph=0.2*1.609E-19;
real R0=(h/(4*q*q))*(1+(L/Lmeanlow));
real b=(h/(4*q*Eph));
inout p, n;
electrical p, n;
analog begin
        I(p,n) <+ V(p,n)/((h/(4*q*q))*(1+(L/Lmeanlow))+3.1964E4*V(p,n));
          end
endmodule

When I use this resistor as connected to a voltage source, the current is calculated as indefinite by SPICE. But when I use this line:

Code:
I(p,n) <+ V(p,n)/(7591+3.1964E4*V(p,n));

the current is sucessfully calculated. Why does the mathematical expressions give error when I use inside Verilog-A modules?

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back