Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Verification of S11 and S21

Status
Not open for further replies.

evoplus

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like to verify something. In order to have less power being reflected back, when I measured the between 2 ports, I should have a high insertion loss(S11) which is prefered to be more than -20dB.

Whereas in order to most of the power to flow thru fr 1 port to another port, my conversion loss (S21) should be at ard -8 to -12dB. Are my understandings correct?

Thanks

I don’t understand very well what you mean with: “conversion loss (S21) should be at ard -8 to -12dB”?
The terminology for S21 is: Forward transmission coefficient (gain or loss)
The value of S21 depend what are you measure.
-If is during Network Analyzer calibration S21 = 0
-If you measure a passive DUT S21 < 0
-If you measure an active DUT S21 > 0

Hi vfone,

What I meant is that if for a two port network for example a waveguide, if I run stimulations using software or doing measurment, I could estimate some results that would give me an idea of the actual results

So for the conversion part, my estimate of the S21 which is also the (forward gain/loss) in this case should be ideally less than 3dB. The return loss (S11) on the other hand should be as high as possible which is more than -20dB?

Hope that I have explained it.

Thanks

Ok, so you are talking about a passive component (waveguide).
The ideal waveguide insertion loss shall be closer as possible to 0dB.
For example an in-band S21 = -0.3dB, is something normal for a waveguide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back